WaxWorms

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterF

Reaction score
I have scrounged up a few threads talking about waxworms. But other than one time of Rick saying they aren't good for Mantids there is little to no discussion of results.

Are they not good for mantids? What does that mean? Not nutritious? Not tasty? Dangerous? Have a behavior that doesn't particularly invoke strikes? (maybe they don't fly around much?)

Does anyone have any experience to share?

It looks like they take a long time to rear, but well balanced that is not an issue by itself.

Ok, so yes, like a lot of people I am looking for flying feeders that aren't as much hassle as flies. I also regularly have web making spiders to feed, and moths make good feeders at outreach events.

the worms are fatty and used as a treat, I give to mine once in a while, but not as steady diet! as Jack LaMane use to say, "10 second on the lips...forever on the hips" :lol:

From what I know, wax worm larvae have a high fat content. If you let them metamorphose, they become flying moths. I'm not sure if the fat content is still with them as adults (my guess is that it's not).

Good. I'm glad that this came up again, since it gives me a chance to give the URL on what I consider the bible on live food nutrition: http://nagonline.net/Technical%20Papers/NAGFS00397Insects-JONIFEB24,2002MODIFIED.pdf

As you can see, the fat content (EE) is very high in wax worms, but I have never seen a study on how much fat is good for mantids because no one to my knowledge has been interested in funding such a study, and we in the hobby, me included, are too lazy to try even an amateur experiment.

Two things can act as a guide, though.

The popularity of wax worms and their ready availability in many pet/fishing shops, has nothing to do with mantids. They are almost childishly easy to raise in a few jars, using wet dog food and honey as a substrate, and the boring adults can be mated and will lay in a 32oz cup. They don't fly away, smell (actually, I have noticed a weird musty smell), bite or sting, and they are waiting for you when you want them. They make good bait and occasional treats for a variety of herps.

I agree with Rick and Hibiscusmile, though (lucky for them ;D). Since these larvae live in bees' nests, they are probably never eaten by any kind of mantis in the wild, and their high fat content greatly exceeds that of the mantids' normal prey, so although someone who already has them could safely give them to a mantis now and then, it would be unwise to offer them on a regular basis without doing a nutritional study first.

Blah, blah, whatever Phil said but also

I say, If your mantis likes it and is ready to eat another, then they are good!

But as a side note, variety is also good. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah, blah, whatever Phil said but also

I say, If your mantis likes it and is ready to eat another, then they are good!

But as a side note, variety is also good. ;)
You go girl! Give 'em what they love and they'll love you! You don't have to be one of them female PhDs to know that!
laugh.gif

Hey, here's an idea! You know that Ke$ha song, "Tik Tok"? Try washing their little mandibles with Jack! That should be a turn on!

sez phil.

Latest posts