Ways to divide kritter keepers?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinsWither

Reaction score
I plan to expand my mantis collection. So could I have the smaller species (like paradoxa) in a deli cup (32 ounce) there whole life while stagmomantis limbata and double shield mantis live in kritter cages? And could they be divided one way or another?

Paradoxa can live in a 32 oz deli cup as adults, but you can also house them communally in a larger enclosure.
You can make dividers for kritter keeper type cages using pieces of cardboard or plastic cut exactly to size to fit and prevent mantises from getting through.

I'd recommend a divider that is not see-through. If they are able to see each other, they will continually try to attack each other, but it won't work since there is a divider that is separating them, and it'll just stress them out.

"I'M ATTACKING YOU, BUT WHY WON'T YOU DIE?!?!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed just cut out some plastic from a old container or such and hot glue it in place (if you are in a 1/4" or so in size hot glue can fill the gaps easy). As pointed out by Melophile use a colored opaque plastic, or paint it before gluing it in place (acrylic paint), to prevent any stress or self-injuries.

If you house the Ghosts communally just know no matter what, there will be an occasional cannibalism/murder. Even if you provide plenty of places to hide, lots of feeders, and such it does happen.

It's no secret I am not a fan of kritter keepers but I would do like the others suggested and just make dividers.

An alternative to kritter keepers and something I am a big fan of are those 2.5 gal mini aquariums. You can get screened lids and glass dividers for them. I added two additional notches which allows me to divide each tank into thirds.

I make dividers out of cardboard (cut to the appropriate size) wrapped in boxing tape. It keeps the water from seeping through the cardboard and it becomes very stiff and sturdy. just be sure no tape is facing the wrong way cause a mantid could get stuck.

Pretty good. Does the divider extend to the top? Any visuals?

I made it slightly longer than the top, then bent it at an angle, so no mantids could get through to the other sides

Another thing i did was poke stems of leaves and such out of the top of the lid and then tape them so theyd not fall. So they have leaves hanging

Latest posts