Weak/Lethargic mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikari012

Reaction score
My mantis just molted a few days ago (He's a Chinese mantis L5 now) and so far, he seems like he's been weak or something. Usually after a molt, he's fine and runs around as he pleases. Sometimes, it looks like his dragging his hind legs around (though they move sometimes). There is no diarehea or vomit. My friend says he could be just stressed (he did somewhat pinch me before). And this is the first time he's ever...been...less move-y after a molt (he's usually hyper). So I have no clue if he's sick or something.

EDIT: I found the problem to why he's dragging his hind legs. One hind leg is okay, but the other is bent at two different places (this is the one he barely moves) What do I do with that? ;~; *spazz* And because of that leg, he can't walk properly and drags his good leg too (unless I'm not seeing where it's crippled also)

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, he died a while ago ._. He was pretty lethargic this morning. Then when I looked at him 15 minutes ago, he was lying on his side, his abdomen was reddish, and I think I found a little opening on his side. :( Have no clue what the heck happened with him.

Sorry to say, but sounds like he was injured during the molt. Alas, it happen very often! I have a Peruvian that just molted and has both hind legs pointing up. I am hopeful, but expect that he will not survive.

As Rick would say, it just happens.

Sorry to say, but sounds like he was injured during the molt. Alas, it happen very often! I have a Peruvian that just molted and has both hind legs pointing up. I am hopeful, but expect that he will not survive.As Rick would say, it just happens.
Yeah T___T But I have no clue what could have happened with his abdomen though. When he died, his abdomen was all red...wrinkly and squishy. He also had an opening on his side somewhere. I don't know where that came from.

Maybe something happened internally. I heard this one story where a mantis molted out flaw free but died two days later.

I can't imagine why a mantis with slightly deformed back legs would do anything to it. In the past when I was more amateur, that happened to me all the time and the mantid's health wasn't affected.

Latest posts