Weird Hestiasula brunneriana Mating Position

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pohchunyee

Reaction score
I notice my adult male Hestiasula brunneriana clinging onto the female's back and use his wing to protect her from other male. This is the first time I ever see this before. Interesting!

IMG_5076.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Hmmm, quite interesting behaviour. I have other insight with another boxer - Ceratomantis saussurii. Male before mating was "dancing" with his arms to charm female - awesome view !

Becky! You're welcome!

I was trying to feed them and the lone male came too close to the couple, the male on the female back start flapping his wings to deter him!

Wow that's awesome!

I've never seen that behavior either. It's like two robots combined into one big robot. Imagine that thing as a whole unit flying and shooting missiles!

Wellp, it seems like that mantis knows how to keep it's woman.

And that's how you do it folks.

Minkyu

Great pics Chun! I have seen it before with this species but never able to find the camera for the shot :D seems like he is telling the other male to backoff! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh! i can see it now. thats amazing :) gotta love those tiny boxers - all sorts of weird behavioral quirks!

Latest posts