Went to Rainbow Mealworms Yesterday

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDazz

Reaction score
I was going to buy some BBF spikes but the guy suggested Solider flies... 200 for 5.00. He also mentioned although the look kinda like wasp but without a mouth and no stinger & they would be a good food source... Can I have u guys thoughts on this... Thanks!

They do look just like wasps, I've seen them at PetCo (sold as Phoenix worms in larvae form), but if they sit around too long they pupate into the flies as I found when looking at some stock about 3 weeks old. They may do fine for feeders, but they have tougher exoskeletons than most other feeders (and may be a problem, try a few to see how your girl does with them). They are very fast fliers too, so you need a good method to transfer them to your girl Triple OG. :)

Likely due to their looks they never have seemed to catch on as a feeder. I did see a post on the forum about a member who uses them as feeders, and cultures them too, and it seems simple enough (although I can't find the link). Here are a few other related posts though about them...

My mantids LOVE them! They are wonderful.

But, there is another use for them. They are great composters. Better than earthworms.

Plus another bonus, they dont stink!!! So they are great for indoor composting. Give them a try.

@Sticky Thanks alot!

I have a feeling I will be going this route once the cold weather kicks in... 

They make good feeders I have fed them in worm form and in fly form 

Last edited by a moderator: