What book are you reading?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started reading the Fellow ship of the ring last month and started the Hobbit the other day. I just saw the movie last night i thought it was really good but not a fan that they are making it 3 parts should only be one or 2. just trying to squeazze more movie. but i liked the acting and character development so far in the story.
I agree, I was a bit iffy about it being a trilogy and still am but I loved it so far. I just hope it keeps this up.

I am on a Micheal Crichton stint right now. Just finished up the great train robbery. I intent to read micro next.

I switched to "The Amber Spyglass" a few days ago. This one is so sad, but so great. Once again, can't recommend these enough.

I just finished reading World War Z, before this one it was Max Brooks prequal to this The Zombie Survival Guide.....I favor the apocalyptic stuff.

Michael

I've been working on On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. Also just started Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places, a Christmas gift and fantastic read btw.

I've been working on On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life.
I read the version abridged by Richard Dawkins(all the stuff now revealed to be inaccurate is removed), I love Evolution, but I found the Victorian prose pretty hard to follow.

Just finished On Call in heck (really? can't say that here?) and before that, The Selfish Gene. Now I am deep into The Official Guide to the GRE.... blah

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now reading Brian Greene's The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos. But I'm looking for a good fiction book too, so I'm open to recommendations.

You guys either aren't reading enough or not posting enough! I just started and finished Lyra's Oxford by Philip Pullman. Very short book, wish it were longer. On to another fiction book.

I spent the last 2 hrs reading Alice and Wonderland......................................................

Precarious, the books that you list are often not for sale. :D
There is a reason for that. Not too long ago information was controlled by the publishing houses. If they didn't want your information made available they would simply refuse to publish your book. That still goes on to some extent only now instead of full out suppression authors or organizations can do small print runs privately and still sell publicly over the internet and even through mega-outlets like Amazon. And, of course, the internet makes most formerly inaccessible knowledge available to all.

es·o·ter·ic

adjective

1. understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest.

2. belonging to the select few.

3. private; secret; confidential.

4. (of a philosophical doctrine or the like) intended to be revealed only to the initiates of a group.

I have some books that the elites would not like you to read. For instance, Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay. The book was first published in 1841 and suppressed shortly after. Very recently, when demand for the original was too great to ignore, publishers produced redacted copies with the banned information removed. So don't be fooled by the number of available editions out there. That is to confuse you from finding the real deal. I have the hard cover 1932 edition by L.C. Page & Company, one of the last printings of the full text. May be a newer small press version out there since I bought my copy.

You can also look to Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time by Carroll Quigley (1966). The elites nearly soiled their dainty panties when he openly exposed much of what they had struggled for hundreds of years to keep secret. That is now back in print.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Quigley

"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."

-- Quote from Carroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope, Chapter 20

"There does exist, and has existed for a generation, an international Anglophile network. I know of the operations of this network because I have studied it for twenty years and was permitted for two years, in the early 1960's, to examine its papers and secret records. I have no aversion to it or to most of its aims and have, for much of my life, been close to it and to many of its instruments. I have objected, both in the past and recently, to a few of its policies ... but in general my chief difference of opinion is that it wishes to remain unknown, and I believe its role in history is significant enough to be known."

-- Quote from Caroll Quigley's Tragedy and Hope, Chapter 65

Also have some great classic esoteric works such as:

The Secret Teachings of All Ages : An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic, and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy by Manly P. Hall

My biggest hardbound tome at 20"x13"! You literally need a lectern or pedestal to rest it on. Beautifully illustrated throughout. A classic work not to be missed.

Suggestive Inquiry into the Hermetic Mystery by Mary Anne Atwood

All original 1918 copies were bought back by the author and burned after she realized she'd revealed too much.

The Red Book by C. G. Jung

Another big hardcover at 16"x12". Consists of Jung's original notes as psychology was explained to him by his spirit guide. Filled with his paintings inspired by encounters with this supernatural being. Most people, even students of Jungian psychology, have no idea about the source of his system. It was not a rationally devised model of the psyche, but revealed information.

The most influential unpublished work in the history of psychology. When Carl Jung embarked on an extended self-exploration he called his “confrontation with the unconscious,” the heart of it was The Red Book, a large, illuminated volume he created between 1914 and 1930. Here he developed his principle theories—of the archetypes, the collective unconscious, and the process of individuation—that transformed psychotherapy from a practice concerned with treatment of the sick into a means for higher development of the personality.

While Jung considered The Red Book to be his most important work, only a handful of people have ever seen it. Now, in a complete facsimile and translation, it is available to scholars and the general public. It is an astonishing example of calligraphy and art on a par with The Book of Kells and the illuminated manuscripts of William Blake. This publication of The Red Book is a watershed that will cast new light on the making of modern psychology.

212 color illustrations.

RB-001cv.jpg

RB-125.jpg

RB-129.jpg

RB-123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts