What I did besides bug hunting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Becky! glad you like it. Wuwu, thanks for the link. The files were deleted in the camera's memory stick, i will get advise from the camera shop later this weekend.

I was planning to bug hunting for the third time in Hong Kong alone since my son is visitng another relatives, but my wife suggested to spend a day showing me around the Avenue of Stars (quite similar to the Hollywood Wall of Fame) instead of hanging around with her friends. Well if mama ain't happy , ain't nobody happy, so off we go....

Breakfast at Cafe de Coral

I was hungary

cafedecoral1.jpg

My wife had Glutinous rice with chicken wrap in lotus leaf. She couldn't finish it, i took over.

cafedecoral2.jpg

We took MTR to the Tsim Sha Tsui. The Avenue of Stars is located at Victoria Harbor.

view1.jpg

There is still ferry carrying passenger and transportation across the channel to the island, but most people use undersea tunnels nowadays

ferry.jpg

Got to have a sea view pic

me1.jpg

A pic for my wife too

grace.jpg

The popular view of Hong Kong

popularHKview.jpg

THere is this giant 2008 Beijing Olympic torch (Hong Kong was hosting the Equestrian event)

beijing2008.jpg

Getting closer to the Stars Avenue

me2.jpg

Entry to SA

staravenue2.jpg

Sir Shaw is an important figure in HK movie industry.... both me and my wife's shadows captured too ha!

sirshaw.jpg

A very oriental looking boat passed by

boat.jpg

My wife insisted I take the pic of his favorite singer... Sam Hui

samhui.jpg

Sourvenier store along the walk

sourveniershop.jpg

As predicted Jackie Chan has a spot for him too

jackychan.jpg

Looks like some rundowns decoration

decoration.jpg

Me acting stature again on the director seat haha!

me4.jpg

Chow Yun Fatt must be so busy in Hollywood he doesn't has the time for hand print.

chowyunfat.jpg

A great honor for Bruce Lee.....

brucelee.jpg

Another sea view

view3.jpg

Very cool Yen. That's what I like to see, big breakfast!
Ha! I must have gain about 10 pounds this trip.My favotire Canto pop Jacky Cheung

jackycheung.jpg

Decided to get a break at Pacific Coffee

pacficcoffee.jpg

Nice view from inside the coffee shop, i can still see Bruce Lee stature..

pacficcoffee1.jpg

Looking back the avenue

view4.jpg

My wife's favortie actor Andy Lau

andylau.jpg

Some people actually fish there

fishing.jpg

And some catching fish without the rod, they are looking for catfish.

fishing1.jpg

We can see the Space museum from the upper level of the habor

spacemuseum.jpg

More food (dim sum) afterwards haha!

chooinn4.jpg

chooinn3.jpg

More dim sum :)

chooinn5.jpg

chooinn6.jpg

Afterward my brother-in-law brought us to the Victoria Peak for a good view of Hong Kong from the top of mountain.

view13.jpg

view1.jpg

view4.jpg

view5.jpg

A pic for the boss

grace.jpg

and Kenny

kenny.jpg

There were too many obstruction from the peak so we went up to the Peak Tower for better view, especially the view of Victoria habor overlooking the Hong Kong island

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

Unfortunately those great views taken from the observation deck was part of the files deleted... sorry. :(

I want that Bruce Lee statue in my living room. It sounded like you needed to eat a lot with all the walking and climbing you did. I do a dim sum a veggie place in Phila all the time! Love it, but you got the real deal.

Did you got to that Avenue of Stars at night? At around 8pm I think every night, there's a light show with all the buildings lighting up and all. It's pretty cool.

[SIZE=14pt]Wow Yen that all I can say so again Wow. I think there are 13 steps and 14 flights so 182 or around that maybe or did you 3 get a number?[/SIZE]

Again Wow

I want that Bruce Lee statue in my living room. It sounded like you needed to eat a lot with all the walking and climbing you did. I do a dim sum a veggie place in Phila all the time! Love it, but you got the real deal.
ha! yup that bronze stature is Bruce Lee's trade mark post.
Yen is a very wise man. ;)
yes.gif
:lol:
Yup i learn from mistake you know :D where did you get all those cool icons Becky :p
Did you got to that Avenue of Stars at night? At around 8pm I think every night, there's a light show with all the buildings lighting up and all. It's pretty cool.
No unfortunately, i am sure the night view is much better with lighting across the channel. Next time i will bring my SLR and shoot the night scene :)
[SIZE=14pt]Wow Yen that all I can say so again Wow. I think there are 13 steps and 14 flights so 182 or around that maybe or did you 3 get a number?[/SIZE]Again Wow
My son did, i can't remember, something around 270 steps but i could be way off.After about 10 days, we are leaving to Malaysia. The Hong Kong international airport is located on the island so will need to pass a long bridge

bridgetoHKairport1.jpg

My brother-in-law Peter sent us all to the airport. My son with Peter at the departure drop off area

kennywithunclepeter.jpg

I felt sorry for Peter he has been like our chauffeur driving us around the city for the past week, and i am sure he will be coming to the airport very often that month.

Peter.jpg

Had our lunch at the airport

kennywithfood.jpg

airportfood1.jpg

Waiting for the plane.... as usual my son can never stop playing games.

HKairport1.jpg

Here we go, to Malaysia! The flight is direct flight from HK to Penang, a beautiful island where i was born.

penang.jpg

My high school classmate came and pick us all up. The next day, he told me where I would like to go, without hesitation, i said Penang Butterfly Farm! and surprisingly my wife is going to follow.

Entrace to the farm

entrance.jpg

familyinPenangBF.jpg

Got ourself the tickets

ticket.jpg

Getting into the park.... obviously my wife had missed the bugs around the entrance rock ;)

PenangBFentrance2.jpg

Ton of different butterfly species around

butterfly1.jpg

butterfly11.jpg

butterfly12.jpg

butterfly13.jpg

butterfly14.jpg

butterfly3.jpg

Yup i learn from mistake you know :D where did you get all those cool icons Becky :p
I've collected and saved them over the years from various places on the Web. I've put them into a Photobucket album for me and everyone else to use in their posts and messages if they wish. You and everyone else are more than welcome to use them too!

To access the album, just click on the words "Smilies Album" in my signature. Just keep that tab or window open seperately while you are posting. All you have to do is copy/paste the IMG code of the smiley you'd like to use from the album to your post. ;)

I'd made a thread about it while you were gone. ;) http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?sh...c=14343&hl=

Beautiful butterflies! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've collected and saved them over the years from various places on the Web. I've put them into a Photobucket album for me and everyone else to use in their posts and messages if they wish. You and everyone else are more than welcome to use them too! To access the album, just click on the words "Smilies Album" in my signature. Just keep that tab or window open seperately while you are posting. All you have to do is copy/paste the IMG code of the smiley you'd like to use from the album to your post. ;)

I'd made a thread about it while you were gone. ;) http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?sh...c=14343&hl=

Beautiful butterflies! :)
Thanks Becky. The extra faces help :)

More butterflies

butterfly9.jpg

butterfly8.jpg

butterfly7.jpg

butterfly4.jpg

One of the butterflies lands on my friend's shirt haha

butterfly10.jpg

There is this tortoise pond with different type

tortoisesign.jpg

tortoise.jpg

And this alligator snappy is huge! shell full of algea works well as camouflage i guess

alligator1.jpg

alligator2.jpg

alligator3.jpg

More aquatic turtle, this one looks cool, they were swallowing up the feeder fish

turtle1.jpg

turtle2.jpg

Finally saw a mantis on display. It looks like a D. lobata but they labelled it as D. horrificata.

dl1.jpg

This bug is popular in Malaysia, the face bug. It does look like face

face.jpg

facebug1.jpg

facebug2.jpg

Leaf insect

leafinsect1.jpg

leafinsect3.jpg

Big beetles

beetle.jpg

beetle2.jpg

Your butterfly pictures make me wish we had had more time at the Brookfield Zoo recently. Jesse and I visited the zoo when going up to see David the other day. But going to the zoo was a a last minute change in plan, and we got there late. They had a mesh enclosed walk-through butterfly exhibit there that I really wanted to see. But there was a long line, and since we got there late we were rushed to see everything else... so we did not go in. :(

That "face bug" is really interesting! I wonder how it keeps itself so clean and shiny, lol. It almost looks "brand new" like plastic bug (not the one in the key chain). :lol: And the leaf insect has great leafy camouflage!

gosh yen, this is a brilliant thread! stunning pictures and the narration makes me feel almost like i went with you :) definitely makes me WISH i did, lol!

Your butterfly pictures make me wish we had had more time at the Brookfield Zoo recently. Jesse and I visited the zoo when going up to see David the other day. But going to the zoo was a a last minute change in plan, and we got there late. They had a mesh enclosed walk-through butterfly exhibit there that I really wanted to see. But there was a long line, and since we got there late we were rushed to see everything else... so we did not go in. :( That "face bug" is really interesting! I wonder how it keeps itself so clean and shiny, lol. It almost looks "brand new" like plastic bug (not the one in the key chain). :lol: And the leaf insect has great leafy camouflage!
Awww bummer, sorry to hear both you and Jesse missed the butterfly exhibit, that's alright you can make it next time. For me to go back Penang Butterfly farm is another 20 hrs fllight ha ha!
gosh yen, this is a brilliant thread! stunning pictures and the narration makes me feel almost like i went with you :) definitely makes me WISH i did, lol!
Thanks! just hope i am not making this a boring thread :) cos there are lot of pics from the visit to Penang BUtterfly farm (and all pics survived the file deleting mishap haha!)This is one huge stick insect

stick1.jpg

THe size compare to a hand

stick2.jpg

Scorpian under normal light

scorp5.jpg

under uv light.. cool

scorp6.jpg

Load of scorp pile up

scorp2.jpg

scorp4.jpg

and water scorpian too

waterscorp.jpg