What to do before a mating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
Today, I will breed my creos after my mom returns home with crix.

Should I feed the female before and during the mating, or only during?

Also, should I feed the male? He hasn't eaten in a day, but I still want him to be able to fly.

This is my first mating, so I'm probably overreacting!

You wanna feed the female till she's nice and fat. You could also have some crickets roaming while in the mating cage. The fuller the female is the better, she will be less likely to eat the male. If you keep an eye on them you can see if the female is ready

You better get the girls good and fat. Skinny girls are more likely to see him as food than a mate and eat him up. Feed them before, during, and after.

Thanks for the advice! What do you say about two subadult crix before the mating (one small one for the male), one subadult cricket after he hops on, and a couple with them in the enclosure.

BTW, why not any while he's pursuing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today was a failure.

I introduced them two inches apart, with the female chewing away at a cricket and a half before the male was introduced. He sat there like a bum, with no antennae waving or movement whatsoever. Does this sound like he's too young, or is he too used to the female's pheromones?

Latest posts