What to feed a baby mantid??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apora090

Reaction score
I have just an ooth which hatched and i now have about 30 mantids.

Just want to know what i should be feeding them?

They are quite small.

Suggestions... thank you

Depending on species fruit flies for decent sized nymphs and springtails for very, very tiny nymphs.

Maybe a picture of one of the nymphs so we can see what your talking about can help!

Picture isn't necessary if we know the species. It's often really hard to tell (for most) what a nymph can take by looking at a picture if you don't first know the species.

here is a pic

IMG_0002.JPG

What is Mels?

I dont think i can get hold of any fruit flys. I went to a pet store and they didnt have.

Can they have any fruit or veggies to get by for the moment?

plenty of sites out there sell the fruit fly cultures(mantisplace, d-place, fly cafe, etc.) just make sure to get one of each size of the cultures, once most species turn L2-L3 they can take on D. Hydei's. Good luck on your new mantis venture.

You could try to get your own FFs, get a bottle, some oldish/ripe fruit, and make a cone out of paper. Put the fruit in the bottle, oh and add some yeast. Then make a cone out of paper, tape it, and keep it outside for a few hours. Hopefully you'll get some Fruit flies, however they will be flying. The mantids will enjoy them :D

so they have to eat live food or is ther an alternative just for the moment.. like veggies?

Live food only. However, you can give them a little bit of honey or pollen on a tooth pick or q-tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
so they have to eat live food or is ther an alternative just for the moment.. like veggies?
catch small insects using a net/pillowcase sweeping it over vegetation and grass then just throw them in with the mantids.

Those mantids' mother didn't raise no wussies (a.k.a. "vegetarians"). Kidding about the wussies part, not kidding about the vegetarian thing. Mantids only eat live food. There are a few things they will take as substitutes briefly and in small quantities such as honey or a tiny shard of tuna if you're lucky, but you NEED fruit flies. You probably have multiple pet stores in your area. Call around (quickly), and if not, rush order some from a website.

Latest posts