WHAT TO FEED NEW TO THE HOBBY

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papichulo24

Reaction score
hi im new to the hobby found a mantis in my garden and decided ill care for him/her.I did a nice jar with a twig and sand for him. I have a dubia colony and i put a couple nymphs in there but they dont seem to get his attention what is it i can feed him.

They will eat pretty much any insect, but some seem to prefer different kinds. Mantises don't chase down their prey, so he/she may not seem interested, but he/she is just waiting for something to crawl in front of him/her :) You can also catch crickets or flies outside if it doesn't eat the roaches.

Ok sounds great I put a bit of wax worms in there and a small cricket maybe he/she will eat thanks

You have a subadult female Stagmomantis species. Actually many mantids will chase down prey. That one is quite thin so should be hungry. Many mantids aren't interested in worm like prey. It is possible it molted recently and won't eat for a couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I have no idea I did notice she was thin and thanks Rick for clearing that up now I can go based off what you said to get a bit more info on how to do her set up I'm gonna try some flies see if that gets her attention

They are a very easy species. Her enclosure should work but you would want to increase the vertical space to accommodate the upcoming molt.

Yes, she does not like to be in glass, it will hold to much humidity, get a nice big plastic house, maybe a big pretzel jar so you can use some screen for the top or a leg piece from pantyhose. hey welcome!

Latest posts