Whats the average length of a chinese mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hummm, I think about ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- that long! the end!
laugh.gif

3 to 4"

L1 ------

L2 ---------

L3 ------------

L4 ----------------

L5 ----------------------

L6 --------------------------------

L7 ----------------------------------------------

ADULT (WHAT REBECCA SAID) TE HEE!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is your big chance John3! When your mantids hatch, measure them and repeat after every molt and also record the date when each one molts (You'll have to give your nymphs names like Chinese !, Chinese 2, etc). If you want to be really scientific, find the scientific name of the Chinese mantis and report the lengths in millimeters. Then post your findings on a thread, and we'll all be proud of you! Good luck!

Wow! Only hit that button once Phil! I've seen plenty of double posts, a few triples, but never nine.

My estimate based on specimens found in the eastern USA (including males) is 3.6" average length for an adult Chinese mantis.

Wow! Only hit that button once Phil! I've seen plenty of double posts, a few triples, but never nine.
I deleted the extra 8 but it wasn't easy.

Mine has grown from a matter of 1/4" when it hatched on April 6th to about 2" today. He has molted exactly as has been said about 10-14 days apart, and he's about to molt right now. They are one of the more interesting species to me because they have been known to eat very strange things once they're freakishly huge.

From the specimen collected in Missouri last year most of them are about 4 inches from head to tip of wing. Male is about the same length but slender. I have heard some say 7 inches but haven't seen one personally.

af2.jpg

This is the longest one I think I have ever found. They are not nearly as long as some people think:

animals158.jpg

This is the longest one I think I have ever found. They are not nearly as long as some people think:
That's true, many have claimed to see a giant 6 or 7 inches chinese mantis, it is on the internet everywhere, but i haven't seen one next to ruler. Probably they include the antenna. In scientific report, the body length of a mantis is actually from the tip of the head to end of the abdomen.Edit: Orin's 3.6" body length fits the scientific mesurement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, I didn't get to see the nine posts!
hammer.gif
I think I know what happened, though. I decided to weigh and measure one of my adult Chinese females, and left it unattended next to my keyboard for a few minutes. It turned out to be 73/4" long and weighed a pound and a half, so it seems quite possible that after I posted, it tapped a foot on the Enter key, causing the extra posts. I'll keep it away from the computer in future.

This is interesting to know, there must be rumors going around about size, I was expecting anywhere beetween 4 and 6 inches for my chinese mantids that I hatched out of ooths that I purchased. I have been measuring all of my mantids from head(eyes without antennae) to tip of abdomen. I was expecting some long mantids :blink: . I guess I will find the truth some time. I found my first L4 this afternoon and I was expecting more, on account of what I had read previously about Tenodera sinensis. I think that perhaps some people measure other parts of anatomy when estimating length of the mantid.

Latest posts