Whats the average length of a chinese mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is interesting to know, there must be rumors going around about size, I was expecting anywhere beetween 4 and 6 inches for my chinese mantids that I hatched out of ooths that I purchased. I have been measuring all of my mantids from head(eyes without antennae) to tip of abdomen. I was expecting some long mantids :blink: . I guess I will find the truth some time. I found my first L4 this afternoon and I was expecting more, on account of what I had read previously about Tenodera sinensis. I think that perhaps some people measure other parts of anatomy when estimating length of the mantid.
Well I think that most people see them but are not carrying a ruler around. THey are very large insects and when a person recalls what they saw they assume it was much larger than it was. Kinda like fish.

So Rick, are you saying I never really caught that 12 foot catfish?
tongue.gif

ok, here is an American chinese mantis female molted for one week.

MVC-242F-1.jpg

As one can see, she is just 4"

now, one from Africa,

MVC-246F.jpg

She also is just 4", this one just molted yesterday, I did think that this one would be bigger, but they were not, I thought that, because just before the final molt, they are a lot bigger than the American breed chinese.

Emerald, my first pet mantis was also the largest from last year at 4 1/2 inches. I have seen 5 inchers but no sixers or seveners. I doubt the latter two are even possible, and 5 inches is gigantic for this species.

Are there mantis species that reach six inches or more?

Funny, I was correcting some people on another site. A mantis topic popped up. Guy took a pic of a carolina mantis nymph. One person said it was walking stick after I told them what it was. Several people posted about how they find huge, 7 inch mantids every year. When I said they only reach a max of about 4 inches, a few people said they know they were much larger. :rolleyes:

Latest posts