When to start feeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bread

Reaction score
My first ooth (T. sinensis) just hatched yesterday. I gave them a few fruit flies to see if they would eat, but they are afraid of them! They rear up, as if ready to strike, and when the fruit flies come too close they just jump over them or run away. I have them all in a bin together, with sticks and moist paper towels at the bottom. They stick their faces to the towels to drink. Only two have died to far.

So, here are my questions:

1. At what point will they start to eat each other? (I am going to separate them soon).

2. Are they ready to eat as soon as they hatch, or do I have to wait some time?

3. What are common causes of death in baby mantises?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I looked, but couldn't find them.

Thanks!

1. As soon as they start to get hungry they may choose a sibling even if there is other prey in there.

2. They need a day or 2 before prey should be introduced.

3. If nymphs are dying before the 2nd instar, stress could be the cause. If they are running all over eachother, or from prey, they may just burn out. Trying endlessly to climb smooth surfaces can also burn them out.

Not enough, or even too much water can cause problems.

Being disturbed by overcrowding or transferred too early, being handled by a human, or walked on by others while still teneral.

I have had sudden and horrible mass death from a sudden temperature change. If you wish to place small nymphs outside for release, make sure that you do it in the evening or early morning while it isn't too hot out. Coming out from an air conditioned environment into a warm environment can be instantly devastating.

(These are just some of the reasons that I think may have caused first instar deaths, in my experience.)

Latest posts