When to Transition to a larger Enclosure?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleB

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an L6 Chinese praying mantis that is now 2 inches long. The height of my 32 oz deli cup is just shy of 6 inches. It seems like its time to change enclosures before his next molt because the container is not 3x his length. Would you agree? 

16056465561552906091850446343094.jpg

I believe you should upgrade the cage size. The cage size you have it in right now may be fine, but I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once the mantids length goes past 1/2 the diameter of the enclosure, it's time for a new enclosure. (I'd say 1/3 though). Looks like your mantid is about 2/3 the diameter of that.

Might I recommend the Exo-Terra Nano Tall from Petco (linked). It is $40 with shipping and tax and has adequate size and ventilation. Just be sure to line the top of the metal mesh with tulle fabric or plastic window screen and you're good to go!

How do I attach the screen to the lid? I'm assuming this is so they can hang upside down?

How do I attach the screen to the lid? I'm assuming this is so they can hang upside down?
It comes with metal mesh that shreds their feet. I believe all you need to do is hot glue the normal plastic mesh under the metal mesh. 

Thanks! Always appreciate the quick and thoughtful responses here. My elementary students would be devastated if our mantids died due to lack of proper care. 

I feel like I've seen the attached containers NOT recommended, but it seems like an ideal size and it has great ventilation. Couldn't I use these and glue tulle fabric to the lid and add some fake plants?

20200914_135309.jpg

I feel like I've seen the attached containers NOT recommended, but it seems like an ideal size and it has great ventilation. Couldn't I use these and glue tulle fabric to the lid and add some fake plants?

View attachment 13833
These cages aren't recommended because of the plastic mesh that doesn't provide enough grip. They can be modified with screen to work. Just make sure the mantis has plenty of ways to reach the lid. 

- MantisGirl13

The one that was puking? He died shortly after he started vomiting. Our class held a funeral and the pallbearer dropped the body in the grass and we couldn't find it.

The one that was puking? He died shortly after he started vomiting. Our class held a funeral and the pallbearer dropped the body in the grass and we couldn't find it.
Yeah sorry to hear that. 

View attachment 13833
I caught a full grown Carolina female at the end of the summer and kept her in a smaller version of one of these with just a stick in it for her to climb to the lid. I'm a noob and don't know much right now, but I can tell you she could cling to the inside top (without mesh) and even laid 3 ooths on the inside of the lids. The ooths (and lids) are now outside being protected in my covered patio grill with holes for them to escape through the bottom.

He died shortly after he started vomiting.
He wasn't fed insects that were fed carrots was he? I read carrot-loaded insects will kill mantids and cause them to vomit beforehand..