Where to buy Fruit flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myzticalboi

Reaction score
I usually buy my fruit flies at Flycafe.net. The quality of the FF are amazing. NO mites and no hassle. The shipping is pretty decent. You can definately make a couple cultures from the flies you get at this place. They sell both D. Hydeis and D. melanogasters.

Flycafe.net is the only ff source for me. Right now, I've been producing my own cultures, but if I ever have need to buy new stock Fly Cafe is the only place I'll go. I've recieved too many moldy and useless cultures in the past to buy anywhere else.

Well joshsfrogs seems to work good with their fruit flies too and never had a problem with their cultures!

I've used the fruit fly Shop. aka the Silkworm Shop for several years now. Since they are in a contiguous state (CA), I get their Priority parcel in two days; their flies are always fresh, and I can buy the "flies only" cups, which supply 3 cultures with some left over, at a lower rate and no squishy culture all over the cup and the flies.

I get mine from MantisPlace! I have just had my culture EXPLODE!! You can barely see in. I just opened it a tiny bit to move flies into home made 32 oz culture cup and accidentally got 140(i might have recounted a few or under counted). very good results! (same with House Flies)

I have bought Hydei from both MantisPlace and FlyCafe and while both are great, I have to give the nod to MantisPlace. The cultures I started from the MP cultures have really produced. I've been using mostly a Mikhail's Massa mix but have started using Rebecca's potato-flake mix.

Latest posts