Which is larger... T. sinensis or T. angustipennis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidBro

Reaction score
What I originally thought were oothecae that belonged to Stagmomantis Carolina actually turned out to belong to Tenodera angustipennis! I was told by the seller that they were S. Carolina but after the nymphs reached L4, they're already an inch long, and a member on this forum brought to my attention that the S. Carolina are very different in appearance. I thought the Tenodera sinensis and Stagmomantis Carolina nymphs just looked similar! But it's because they're actually of the same genus.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask (for those who have kept this species), which one is larger? The Tenodera sinensis or the Tenodera angustipennis? Research says the sinensis is larger, a friend said the angustipennis is larger, so I'm not sure. Time will tell, of course, but I'm curious and would like to know the answer now rather than months later when they reach adulthood.

Thanks, guys!

- Alex

. I thought the Tenodera sinensis and Stagmomantis Carolina nymphs just looked similar! But it's because they're actually of the same genus.
Not the same genus, one is in the genus Tenodera the other Stagmomantis. Stagmomantis are more closely related to Phyllovates than Tenodera.

They are in the same family Mantidae

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the same genus, one is in the genus Tenodera the other Stagmomantis. Stagmomantis are more closely related to Phyllovates than Tenodera.

They are in the same family Mantidae
I meant the Tenodera genus, I only THOUGHT they were Stagmomantis, but they turned out to be Tenodera. That's why the angustipennis I hatched are similar in appearance to the sinensis I hatched, cause they are of the same genus.

I meant the Tenodera genus, I only THOUGHT they were Stagmomantis, but they turned out to be Tenodera. That's why the angustipennis I hatched are similar in appearance to the sinensis I hatched, cause they are of the same genus.
I got what you meant when I read the post, but that is because we were discussing it earlier.

It did read kind of funny.

It is sometimes difficult for me to communicate certain things with text. Note all of my edited posts. ;)

I got what you meant when I read the post, but that is because we were discussing it earlier.

It did read kind of funny.

It is sometimes difficult for me to communicate certain things with text. Note all of my edited posts. ;)
My bad, lol, it's difficult for me too sometimes. I figure if somebody misunderstands I'll just explain myself.

Yes. Click the link above. As far as ooths go they would be hard to confuse with Stagmomantis since angustipennis is much much larger and the shape is quite a bit different.
I did click the link, I commented on the thread, too. Good photos to show the differences. And I've never had a Stagmomantis ootheca, I was going by online photos, and it's not as easy to tell the size of things through a photo. They seemed similar in appearance, the S. Carolina and T. angustipennis oothecae. Now that I've been informed that they're T. angustipennis it's easier to see the difference between the oothecae I had and the appearance of an S. Carolina ootheca.

T. sinensis is larger and stronger averagely, yet i know a people who has fond a 13cm T. angustipennis and a 12.8cm T. sinensis.

Last edited by a moderator:
T. sinensis is larger and stronger averagely, yet i know a people who has fond a 13cm T. angustipennis and a 12.8cm T. sinensis.
Yeah every mantid eats different, so an angustipennis could be larger than a sinensis who hasn't eaten as much, could also have been a female (larger) angustipennis and a male (smaller) sinensis.

Latest posts