Why not feed crickets?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a chat with a lady at a local exotic pet shop yesterday which I found interesting. She keeps tarantulas of various species and told me that some of the problem with feeder crickets is that when the egg carton in the box gets wet the cricks eat it and also the mould that grows on it. This in turn poisons the mantis/tarantula that eats them, or at least blocks their gut.

I wondering if this is why keepers in mainland Europe have problems but not those in the states. Maybe the card used contains some contaminants that accumulate in the crickets then poison the mantis :huh:

Come on Rick, I'm only asking what species you have fed crickets to so we can help clear this up ;) As stated previously, some species really are okay after eating infected crickets.

I've fed my crix to my ghosts, chinese, and g.asians. They are all doing good. I heard that it is not good to feed a cricket to a female and im curious if that means every species or what and also why would that matter.

Latest posts