Why the wiggle?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're talking about post-catching prey. It's a lil' bit of mimicry & a lil' bit of happy ;)
I know but even then while eating they can't let their guard down (especially then LO) the movement allows them to mimic a stick/leaf whatever while allowing them to see how far things are away from them.

I know but even then while eating they can't let their guard down (especially then LO) the movement allows them to mimic a stick/leaf whatever while allowing them to see how far things are away from them.
I concur. However, and I say this hesitantly because my memory doesn't span long enough, I don't think their head & their arms sway in different patterns when they have caught their prey. I think they sway synchronistically, which would suggest the prey is already close enough for them to judge distance without the head tilts & they're just swaying for the alleged reasons above. But, like I said, I might be wrong.

i think bassist means theyre judging distance of potential predators, not the already caught prey. it is possible that, as the capture of prey includes a fair bit of movement (mostly from the struggling victim :p ), it might be advantageous for mantids to have an increased awareness of their surroundings post prey capture - for what other time is a mantis most visible?!

Oh, come on - I thought we'd buried the hatchet on this conflict. :huh:

they just go for the first part that comes to the mouth, it could be a head, neck, belly or butt.atleast mine do.
Yes they go after any part that's closest I've had an Acromantis formosana adult female eat a wasp face first the only form of 'disabling prey' besides the raptoral arms I have witnessed is the devouring of legs on spiders most likely because the legs where closest to the mantis' jaws.

i think bassist means theyre judging distance of potential predators, not the already caught prey. it is possible that, as the capture of prey includes a fair bit of movement (mostly from the struggling victim :p ), it might be advantageous for mantids to have an increased awareness of their surroundings post prey capture - for what other time is a mantis most visible?!
And they're we have it: resolution. Thanks Olga :) How was drinks? :p

they just go for the first part that comes to the mouth, it could be a head, neck, belly or butt.atleast mine do.
It happens with mine as well. And I'm on the other side of the globe from you :rolleyes:

So do human females.....
Bonkontheheadwfryingpan.gif

Flamethrower.gif

Splat.gif

no, I am not having a bad day, why u ask
ShiftyEyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts