Wild cricket culture

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guapoalto049

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone cultures wild crickets? I often collect the large black field crickets as well as the small (1/2" adult) brown crickets I find all over in grass.

I've never attempted to raise crickets, but to vary the winter diet I may begin either of these species. Thoughts?

its not hard, but getting adult crickets takes about 3-4 months, and 25-40 adults can lay thousands of eggs if givin enough dirt. Pinheads and teen crix need constant food and water or they cannibalize and die. Its easy but like BB culturing it smells, good luck.

Well crickets life span is already short, 6 months i think. Cant imagine another cricket living less than that =P I personally find pleasure in seeing everything grow, seeing 1/4mm pinheads turn into L10-L13's has been fun. But really? i like anything from flowers to mantids to kids grow. To know that something will grow huge from nothing fascinates me

I have been keeping the all black field crickets this year. It has been pretty easy, but they eat a ton. Way more than my house crickets.

I do like the field crickets more.

I don't use the field crickets as food though.

Latest posts