World's Record Orchid Ooth!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Well, I never had Orchids before so is this a big ooth for them?

It's as long as her whole body!

Orchooth_5770-sm.jpg

Orchooth_5772-sm.jpg

I don't know why she chose to lay it on the glass when there is a whole tank full of branches. Maybe the thick ones were too twisty to lay such a long ooth. I'll have to find some long straight ones for future ooths. Her sister should be laying an ooth any day now so I better get on it.

How do you remove a long flat ooth from glass? Razor blade?

I would use a flat razor, like you said, and work carefully at it. That is a HUGE ooth from what Ive seen. In a few months I'll have to compare what mine are like. Congrats!

Precarious, congratulations!

My female orchid ooth is also as long as my female's body, but I think you mentioned yours were close to 3" long. My female and ooth are both about 2.75" long.

Does this mean that someone will finally have orchid nymphs for sale soon? :)

Please keep me in mind for a few guys ;)

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a flat razor blade.

Just work it carefully all the way around the ooth.

Should come off nice and clean that way :)

Congrats, that looks like quite the ooth!

I hope you let us know how many total nymphs it yields. And even better, that you opt to part with a lot of 'em (I want on the list!) :)

Impressive!But you can see a much longer one on UK forum.Lets call the Guiness Book to clear this out!

Holy WOW!!! :blink: How long is it? :blink:

BTW Another way to remove it is to gently slide your fingernail underneath the edges and it should pop right off. The razor sounds like it would be easier and safer if you're careful, but the "fingernail method" isn't very hard either. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, that looks like quite the ooth!

I hope you let us know how many total nymphs it yields. And even better, that you opt to part with a lot of 'em (I want on the list!) :)
You got it. If I have any say you'll see video and detailed photos of the hatch. I will definitely have nymphs for sale.

Impressive!But you can see a much longer one on UK forum.Lets call the Guiness Book to clear this out!
Then I concede to the rightful record holder. :surrender:

Legal Notice:

Forum member 'Precarious', hereto referred to as 'defendant', claims no association nor certification by said Guinness World Records Corporation or its subsidiaries. The inflammatory title of forum post "World's Record Orchid Ooth!" was intended as parody to generate interest among the board users and was never directed toward commercial purposes or as a branding in order to generate revenue. Defendant apologizes for any misunderstand in relation to this attempt at humor.

That is an amazing long ooth. She is one creative girl.

lol @ legal notice, I think Nikko meant to get the Guiness Book people to confirm the size.

Henry, what is it laid on? Looks to me like it's paper, not a valuable mesh net, am I right? If it is just paper glued to a container, simply remove the paper man. Whenever I have an ooth laid on a branch or piece of paper towel, that ooth is getting glued on a lid with the branch/paper glued down, not the ooth! ;)

It IS a nice size man, to answer your PM question.

Unfortunately your Orchids are NOT proven to be from wild caught specimens, or are they?

Most Orchids are from UE/UK as its super easy for them to import wild caught specimens and wild caught ooths from Malaysia.

The ooth I had Henry, was produced by a wild caught pair. This is why the hatch rate was so high, 101 nymphs to be exact my friend. :)

I hope your Orchids came from either a "CH" (captive hatched) ootheca. This is an ooth which was laid by a wild caught female for those of your who do not know this terminology yet.

Or hopefully your Orchids came from a captive hatched pair which was then hatched and sent to you.

I hope the best for your Orchid ooth's hatch count and your success on keeping and continuing their lineage. I am getting a couple more ooths soon, they should be here within the next 2 weeks. Let's hope I get some hatched out by the next 4-6 weeks. This will mean my males will be perfect age for your females! My nymphs will be CH, so expect a strong stock from me! :)

Peace to all! And congrats with you all who are keeping Orchids!

I'll have adults within the same time frame as we.. Perhaps we can trade a few for mating to mix up the genes....

Henry, what is it laid on? Looks to me like it's paper, not a valuable mesh net, am I right?

Unfortunately your Orchids are NOT proven to be from wild caught specimens, or are they?
It's on the glass of an Exo-Terra tank. Should come off pretty easy. I'm just letting it dry first.

I don't know if my nymphs are WC or CB. We'll see how many nymphs I get.

I'll have adults within the same time frame as we.. Perhaps we can trade a few for mating to mix up the genes....
I try not to count my nymphs before they hatch but it would probably be to both our benefit to mix blood. Not sure I'm going another generation with them yet, but chances are I will since it seems others are having trouble syncing the sexes.

Latest posts