Worried

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertine101

Reaction score
Am kind of worried about my mantis at the minute. I think its due a moult as it hasnt been eating for 2 days now, but I read somewhere that they need both back legs for support when moulting. My mantis is only using one back leg when hanging from the top of the tank. Is there any way of telling that its definitely moulting?

It sounds like he is due for moulting. I'm a bit confused about the back legs. Are you saying that only his one back leg is attached to the enclosure? He's not using his other 3 'legs' at all? If so, that's not a very good sign.

No sorry, I meant that only she is only using the 3 legs, one of the back ones just seems to be dangling, was worried in case this will have an effect on moulting?

He's moulting. If you watch, then you might be lucky enough to see it come out of its skin. But really, all you can do is wait. There's no need to worry.

I have seen many mantids with one leg raised up and not touching anything. Doesn't seem to be a big deal. Not sure why newcomers to this hobby worry so much but all I have to say about it is don't worry. If it is molting then it will soon. Worse thing you can do to a mantis is bother it when a molt is coming.

I had a mantis that was going to molt some time last night. She had a leg not holding onto anything. This morning, she had molted to adult and is beautiful!

She moulted this morning without any difficultly :D Seems we have an adult as she appears to be unfolding wings as I type!! Anyway Ill try and get some pics up on here, maybe someone would be able to tell me which instar she is at?

Thanks for all your help and support guys, am such a proud parent :)

Last edited by a moderator:
She moulted this morning without any difficultly :D Seems we have an adult as she appears to be unfolding wings as I type!! Anyway Ill try and get some pics up on here, maybe someone would be able to tell me which instar she is at? Thanks for all your help and support guys, am such a proud parent :)
they grow up so fast, dont they T_T

Latest posts