Wow

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look more like Pseudocreobroter with those colors; photos I've seen of that species always show it in hot pink.

First of all, those are called Pseudocreobotra.

Secondly, the specimen figured shows pointed eyes, a different pronotum and a different foreleg shape, among other features. Color is completely useless in IDying mantids. Add the origin (S Africa) and it cannot be anything that H. tricolor.

First of all, those are called Pseudocreobotra.Secondly, the specimen figured shows pointed eyes, a different pronotum and a different foreleg shape, among other features. Color is completely useless in IDying mantids. Add the origin (S Africa) and it cannot be anything that H. tricolor.
Yes, the original mispelling is Pseudocreobotra versus Creobroter, something I'm familiar with, simple typing error. I was just saying I've never seen a white one, they're always hot pink. I was commenting on the color, I wasn't saying that wasn't Harpagomantis. Relax.

It's not that there aren't any reddish Pseudocreobotra... :rolleyes:
Pink sure, but I imagine you know it's a very different color.

PseudocreobotraNymph.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So why arent' you harassing Morpheus UK for spelling Creobroter as Creobotra? Am I so special to you? B)

Again, I was just commenting on the amazing colors this species is capable of (Pseudocreobotra is not).

That's what I tried to explain: there are also very colored (also almost red) Pseudocreobotra specimens. Just because you haven't seen any this doesn't mean that there don't occur. WC specimens are often reddish in many so-called flower mantids. If Harpagomantis should get into culture one day, under "usual" captive conditions they will be as boringly white as our Pseudocreobotra are.

I would hardly call it harassing, i spelt it correctly as far as i take it anyway

..., i spelt it correctly as far as i take it anyway
There is no such thing as Creobotra, only Creobroter. The person who described Pseudocreobotra made a spelling error but didn't revise it so that's the official name. It was supposed to be Pseudocreobroter.

Take a look at I Like Mantis`s avatar, not a Psuedocreobotra but a pretty much red one

Latest posts