Wow!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisstpeter

Reaction score
Ok, so in my last post I mentioned that all 3 of my S carolina. were males, and I have been looking for a female in the wild. Well, I found one, but... this thing is HUGE! So huge in fact, that it has got me wondering... are my 3 boys adults? They all have their full-length wings, so I assumed they were full grown. Do they have one more molt left in them? Or is the female I caught maybe a chinese or something other that an S carolina.(she seems to have a "shield" behind her head, wider "shoulders")? Or is she just so much bigger because she wasn't raised in human care? Or is this huge size difference normal? The male seems to be slightly longer (from end to end) than the length of her wings! I realize there's some sexual dimorphism in mantids, but the size difference I'm seeing seems like too much... I'm attaching pics, and if anyone could tell me what's going on here, I would greatly appreciate it!

The female from the top: IMG_20130902_105028_253.jpg

Male in habitat:IMG_20130902_104929_692.jpg

Female in same size habitat:IMG_20130902_104942_946.jpg

Ok, thanks gripen! I didn't even think to look up Tenodera identification, but once I did I found that they're easily identified by the vertically striped face, which she def has :) Well, I'll keep her until the wife gets home so I can show her, but after that there's not much point in keeping her since she can't breed with my males, so I'll let her go :)

Ok, thanks gripen! I didn't even think to look up Tenodera identification, but once I did I found that they're easily identified by the vertically striped face, which she def has :) Well, I'll keep her until the wife gets home so I can show her, but after that there's not much point in keeping her since she can't breed with my males, so I'll let her go :)
She is an adult, so she may have already mated out in the wild. You could keep her till she lays an ooth and then see if it hatches.

Do not try and mate your carolinas with her. They will make meals instead of love :p

Looks to be adult female Tenodera aridifolia sinensis.

I say don't release her if you found her anywhere near where Carolina Mantids live. Her or her future offspring would probably chow down on our native Carolinas. You probably can't get rid of the Chinese but there's no need to help them eradicate the natives. In many northern areas the Chinese are good thing since there are few to no natives to compete with (or the natives live in a different type of habitat) and they help control pests like grasshoppers

There is a good chance the pretty little lady has already mated. If not and you caught her around your area you could always stick her outside in a net cage if you see her calling to see if her pheremones attract some boys.

Latest posts