CosbyArt mantid thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I "fell off the wagon" lol. :D

I was told my package has 4 L2 Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa), 3 L2 African twig mantids (Popa spurca), and 3 L1 Madagascan Marbled mantids (Polyspilota aeruginosa). The tracking number says it is out for delivery so it should be here in a few hours or less. ;)
Sweet! :D

Yeah I "fell off the wagon" lol. :D

I was told my package has 4 L2 Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa), 3 L2 African twig mantids (Popa spurca), and 3 L1 Madagascan Marbled mantids (Polyspilota aeruginosa). The tracking number says it is out for delivery so it should be here in a few hours or less. ;)
I don't know if they are aeruginosa marbled or griffinii – Griffin Mantis

I don't know if they are aeruginosa marbled or griffinii – Griffin Mantis
Not a problem, they'll show themselves after a few molts. ;) I'll post some pictures after they rest up from their traveling.

I posted the final update for my Deadleaf mantids (Deroplatys lobata) in their original thread.

Sadly all the new nymphs I got recently didn't do very well (rough post office work or such didn't help them), I only have two remaining ghost nymphs left. They however recently molted to L3's and seem to be doing good.

Ghost D 2 - L3
ghostd2.jpg

Ghost D 3 - L3
ghostd3.jpg

My original two Ghosts are still doing great, with Bandit (my one arm Ghost) molting to an adult Wednesday (July 29th). He never did regrow his arm (I got him at L2 February 12th with only one arm).

Bandit my Ghost mantid at L7

ghostbandit1.jpg

ghostbandit2.jpg

Bandit's sibling is at L7 as well (but not an adult), but has really started to show green colors. Originally she was a dark brown too, but lighten to a light brown, but is now going green.

ghost2-1.jpg

ghost2-2.jpg

I have more updates to post soon, as many of my other mantids have now molted to adults too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted the final update for my Deadleaf mantids (Deroplatys lobata) in their original thread.

Sadly all the new nymphs I got recently didn't do very well (rough post office work or such didn't help them), I only have two remaining ghost nymphs left. They however recently molted to L3's and seem to be doing good.

Awesome! I like Bandit, he's different! Those ghosts are cute, how tiny!

I just caught a wild Carolina mantid (Stagmomantis carolina) at 8:15 (less than a hour ago), and my first I caught wild since Susanna. 
thumbup.gif
She is an adult female and is somewhere between 1 3/4" to 2" long, and is really friendly.

I was collecting leaves on a ladder in the oak tree in backyard, about 12 feet up. After I removed a few leaves and put them into the bucket, she was on a nearby branch looking at me and doing a wave with your forearms as I came close. I went inside to get my net to ensure she didn't fall - but didn't need it. She climbed on and was ready to go. ;)

In case anyone is wondering about the leaves, I got a bucket full to put in my food dehydrator for leaf litter for my new millipede. Fresh litter, and there was none to be found in my backyard amazingly.

apogee1.jpg

I just caught a wild Carolina mantid (Stagmomantis carolina) at 8:15 (less than a hour ago), and my first I caught wild since Susanna. 
thumbup.gif
She is an adult female and is somewhere between 1 3/4" to 2" long, and is really friendly.

I was collecting leaves on a ladder in the oak tree in backyard, about 12 feet up. After I removed a few leaves and put them into the bucket, she was on a nearby branch looking at me and doing a wave with your forearms as I came close. I went inside to get my net to ensure she didn't fall - but didn't need it. She climbed on and was ready to go. ;)

In case anyone is wondering about the leaves, I got a bucket full to put in my food dehydrator for leaf litter for my new millipede. Fresh litter, and there was none to be found in my backyard amazingly.

Hah wow thats awesome!!

Aww!.. You found your new Carolina mantis?! Nice man, and she's beautiful. Maybe you'll find yourself a male? ;)
Thanks, I'm really excited lol. It was the first time in years I have been on a ladder and I found a mantid while on it, sweet :D

Yeah I left the ladder as I plan to collect more leaves tomorrow, and hoping I'll find someone else - although I'm not getting my hopes up. I figure if nothing else I can put her outside in a net tank for a few hours to attract her a male or two.

Its always a cool feeling finding a wild mantis when your looking for em but even better when your not expecting them and the show up right in front of you lol. Good luck on finding some males for her.

Its always a cool feeling finding a wild mantis when your looking for em but even better when your not expecting them and the show up right in front of you lol. Good luck on finding some males for her.
Thanks, it was a great day. :D I know if it was someone else in my family they wouldn't have seen the mantid, but to me it would have been like trying to overlook a flashing neon sign
laugh.gif

I have high hopes of finding a male on the ivy covered chain link fence that runs around the front of the yard, last year we saw several there about this time of year.

Aww!.. You found your new Carolina mantis?! Nice man, and she's beautiful. Maybe you'll find yourself a male? ;)
I did find a male today!
thumbup.gif

So far I have four wild Carolina's I caught now lately. One adult female (Apogee above), my new adult male Ecru, one female that looks to be sub-adult and ready to molt soon, and another female that is likely L4 (tiny thing must be from the June hatch I saw, so I did get one after all). ;)

I had my camera with me as I was getting photos of the Milkweed bugs I was collecting, so here is a shot of Ecru before I captured him :D As of now he is happily eating a GB fly in his habitat. The blue tarp in the photo is part of a large dog pen (keeps the area of the house sun and rain free).

ecru-wild.jpg

I should also add my one armed Ghost, Bandit, died earlier today.

I found him hanging from his screen mesh still, but dead, while I was feeding all my mantids. His hind walking legs were not gripping right so I investigated and discovered he was dead. Strange he died still holding on to his mesh lid, never seen that before. I put him in the freezer to ensure he goes painlessly, if he had any life left (he didn't move any as I put him into a small container for the freezer). He aged 6 months and 18 days (199 days) in my care since I got him as a L2.

A bummer for sure, he was a friend. :( On a positive note I already moved Ecru into his habitat - odd I found my male Carolina the same day it happened.

I did find a male today!
thumbup.gif

So far I have four wild Carolina's I caught now lately. One adult female (Apogee above), my new adult male Ecru, one female that looks to be sub-adult and ready to molt soon, and another female that is likely L4 (tiny thing must be from the June hatch I saw, so I did get one after all). ;)

I had my camera with me as I was getting photos of the Milkweed bugs I was collecting, so here is a shot of Ecru before I captured him :D As of now he is happily eating a GB fly in his habitat. The blue tarp in the photo is part of a large dog pen (keeps the area of the house sun and rain free).

Thats great!! ya gonna breed em??

I should also add my one armed Ghost, Bandit, died earlier today.

I found him hanging from his screen mesh still, but dead, while I was feeding all my mantids. His hind walking legs were not gripping right so I investigated and discovered he was dead. Strange he died still holding on to his mesh lid, never seen that before. I put him in the freezer to ensure he goes painlessly, if he had any life left (he didn't move any as I put him into a small container for the freezer). He aged 6 months and 18 days (199 days) in my care since I got him as a L2.

A bummer for sure, he was a friend. :( On a positive note I already moved Ecru into his habitat - odd I found my male Carolina the same day it happened.
Aw RIP Bandit!! i had a tenodera die still holdin on once. I thought he was just being lazy til i went to feed him and realized he was deceased.

Latest posts