CosbyArt mantid thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured in the meantime until I get a chance to do individual shots - here are my current mantids (isopods, millipedes, and springtails on the 2nd shelf). Kind of cheating I know :D I did take some photos of each mantid in their habitat a minute ago, but the photos required a flash and the habitats are bad at bouncing it back.

8-30-15-setup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured in the meantime until I get a chance to do individual shots - here are my current mantids (isopods, millipedes, and springtails on the 2nd shelf). Kind of cheating I know :D I did take some photos of each mantid in their habitat a minute ago, but the photos required a flash and the habitats are bad at bouncing it back.

Nice!

I caught five more wild Carolina's today and another Chinese mantid too! I'm up to 9 Carolina's and 15 Chinese mantids (3 of the original Chinese had to be put down as they were damaged by a lawn mower before I got them..).

My new Carolina's - two are gravid females, one adult male, a adult female, and another small L4 female. I'll have to get some photos up to show of my little Carolina family :D

The adult male was on the neighbors swing so they told me to come get him - after getting him in my hand he flew off as I started to show him off. I went looking for him but found the L4 girl instead. After more looking an hour later I found him and the two gravid females hiding around the chainlink fence ivy in the front yard. The last girl was hiding in the roses in the backyard (my wife said they were so thorny no mantis would hide in it, so I went looking as a challenge and found one lol). The last girl took four attempts until I caught her in my net, she kept jumping out of my hand as I was struggling to catch her as I was surrounded by thorny limbs, so I grabbed my net to get her.

I caught five more wild Carolina's today and another Chinese mantid too! I'm up to 9 Carolina's and 15 Chinese mantids (3 of the original Chinese had to be put down as they were damaged by a lawn mower before I got them..).

My new Carolina's - two are gravid females, one adult male, a adult female, and another small L4 female. I'll have to get some photos up to show of my little Carolina family :D

The adult male was on the neighbors swing so they told me to come get him - after getting him in my hand he flew off as I started to show him off. I went looking for him but found the L4 girl instead. After more looking an hour later I found him and the two gravid females hiding around the chainlink fence ivy in the front yard. The last girl was hiding in the roses in the backyard (my wife said they were so thorny no mantis would hide in it, so I went looking as a challenge and found one lol). The last girl took four attempts until I caught her in my net, she kept jumping out of my hand as I was struggling to catch her as I was surrounded by thorny limbs, so I grabbed my net to get her.
Poor ones cut up by the lawn mower!

Thats awesome that you found so many carolinas!

haha i found a female sinensis on a flower by some thorns too once! flowers equals food! sounds like a tough time tryna catch her, its a good idea to have a net around! I bought one last month for the difficult prey. butterflies, flies, moths.

Poor ones cut up by the lawn mower!

Thats awesome that you found so many carolinas!

haha i found a female sinensis on a flower by some thorns too once! flowers equals food! sounds like a tough time tryna catch her, its a good idea to have a net around! I bought one last month for the difficult prey. butterflies, flies, moths.
Yeah it seems my sister can't run her lawn mower without hitting them, they are so thick out at her place. That's why I originally went out there and got 15 to begin with. She has been slowly taking back some of her wild 10 acre property and they don't show until they are fleeing for their lives and often it's too late sadly. I'd really hate to know how many have been mowed over.

Thanks, I am excited about them can't wait to have some little ones too in the next few months. :D I plan on returning several ooths to my yard to keep up the population, and I know of at least one person wanting some for next season if nothing else.

Glad to see I'm not the only one venturing into the thorns to get a mantid. :) Nice to hear you got a net. I got a few cheap ones, about worthless, and made a nice one - but the net hoop/ring has to be stronger as I already broke it. I'll have to try again as the $40+ nets I've seen on some sites are too expensive.

I would like a Carolina ooth. Maybe I would have something to trade? If not, I would be happy to pay for one and shipping.

I would like a Carolina ooth. Maybe I would have something to trade? If not, I would be happy to pay for one and shipping.
Okay I'll add you for a ooth too. Sure I'm up for trades, we'll talk when I get some ooths on hand.

I've had many mantids come and go lately, but thought I should post about my new girl I named TipTop.

I caught another gravid Carolina female from the ladder still in the tree in my backyard (that's at least 3 mantises from there now). She has a very unique color and speckling, I haven't seen on a Carolina (Stagmomantis carolina) like her before; although, another female I caught named Banana is similar.

TipTop was literally barely above the top ladder rung, sitting on the tree itself (the others I got were in the tree leaves). I climbed up looking for a mantid Tuesday and she was right in front of me turning her head and watching me. Here are some photos of her right before I put her in her new habitat. Well actually they were after I tried to put her in, but she climbed off the lid and right on to my arm, so I thought I'd share some photos.

I've also found some new Carolina ooths in the backyard too, which they will stay so I can see more next year ;)

tiptop1.jpg

tiptop2.jpg

tiptop3.jpg

Grandsons and I just looked at all your mantids! They are so beautiful--I would suggest that your ghost mantid that is eating the blue bottle fly looks like a piece gold jewelry pretty enough to wear in the photo! Thanks for the gorgeous photos!

Can I have an ooth? Ive been wanting one for some time.
Sorry but as mentioned the ones I have found in the yard are staying where they are (with confirmed parasitic wasps from previous wild ooths I hatched from my yard, the hatching numbers will likely be low next year too).

I do have several gravid females (such as TipTop shown above) that I captured, and I will bred them once they lay their current ooths to ensure they are fertile. If you want I can trade you one of the now gravid female ooths, or you can wait until they lay a new ooth once they are bred to ensure they hatch.

Either way you will be sure to get a Carolina ooth from me as I have 5 adult Carolina females at the moment ready to lay ooths (and I'm not selling/trading any of the girls) - and I will continue to find more until it freezes outside. ;)

Grandsons and I just looked at all your mantids! They are so beautiful--I would suggest that your ghost mantid that is eating the blue bottle fly looks like a piece gold jewelry pretty enough to wear in the photo! Thanks for the gorgeous photos!
Thanks for looking, and the comments, glad you and your grandsons enjoyed them! ;) The yellow Ghost was a very pretty girl. Sadly though I was unable to breed her before she died, I was hoping some of her offspring would get her unique coloration. I do have some more Ghosts now, and hopefully they will develop the beautiful colors too. :D

One of my new Ghosts just molted today and has a pretty color too; however, as it isn't full dry yet it may darken in color. I'll have to post some photos of it tomorrow.

I've had many mantids come and go lately, but thought I should post about my new girl I named TipTop.

I caught another gravid Carolina female from the ladder still in the tree in my backyard (that's at least 3 mantises from there now). She has a very unique color and speckling, I haven't seen on a Carolina (Stagmomantis carolina) like her before; although, another female I caught named Banana is similar.

TipTop was literally barely above the top ladder rung, sitting on the tree itself (the others I got were in the tree leaves). I climbed up looking for a mantid Tuesday and she was right in front of me turning her head and watching me. Here are some photos of her right before I put her in her new habitat. Well actually they were after I tried to put her in, but she climbed off the lid and right on to my arm, so I thought I'd share some photos.

I've also found some new Carolina ooths in the backyard too, which they will stay so I can see more next year ;)

Shes cool lookin! i read carolinas can blend in with anything, id seen an actual black one on google!

Shes cool lookin! i read carolinas can blend in with anything, id seen an actual black one on google!
Thanks, yeah she is not the typical brown or green ;) I had to look that up and found the black one here, very nice! Depending on how many of the nymphs I think I can keep/feed from my ooths I'll have to play with background decorations and see if I can get some nice color molts.

Thanks, yeah she is not the typical brown or green ;) I had to look that up and found the black one here, very nice! Depending on how many of the nymphs I think I can keep/feed from my ooths I'll have to play with background decorations and see if I can get some nice color molts.
Yup, thats it!

Thatd be cool! i did it with the male Nate sent me, i used blue, he did end up having some blue!

Yup, thats it!

Thatd be cool! i did it with the male Nate sent me, i used blue, he did end up having some blue!
That's great, a blue mantid :D I'll have to try some purple or fuchsia to see what happens - a toxic looking mantid would be neat.

Latest posts