CosbyArt mantid thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great, a blue mantid :D I'll have to try some purple or fuchsia to see what happens - a toxic looking mantid would be neat.
He wasnt 100% blue but he had blue bits, like his eyes, and the underside of his thorax. He was at L5 i think when Nate sent him over. He was originally brown, i think maybe if you tried with one at L1 and raised him/her to adulthood around that color, that the mantid would have the best chance at becoming that specific color completely!Edit.. That would look cool btw, a toxic mantid!

Last edited by a moderator:
He wasnt 100% blue but he had blue bits, like his eyes, and the underside of his thorax. He was at L5 i think when Nate sent him over. He was originally brown, i think maybe if you tried with one at L1 and raised him/her to adulthood around that color, that the mantid would have the best chance at becoming that specific color completely!

Edit.. That would look cool btw, a toxic mantid!
I figured that lol, although it would be cool to have a solid colored mantid. Still nice that he had taht much color to him. :D

It would, I'll have to see if I can corner the market on them lol. But seriously I think wrapping 30-50% of their cup in colored construction paper would be enough and easy to do. Sounds like another experiment coming up soon. ;)

I would like to add in on Alex's post... In regards to the male (Kaz), we must keep in mind that I sent him around... What? Pre-sub/subadult? And still ended up with blue...

Now what do you think he would be looked like if he had grown up in a completely blue set-up from L1-Up?

If you remember... Alex, I DID Apollo in pink. -.-

And he did end up obviously pink hued... But was also found the same in star as kaz.

Thomas... I myself believe you should run the color experiment on a few of your hatchlings ;)

How about "Hunter Orange" colored mantids! o_O

Lol

Figured I'd better include my batch of Griffin nymphs here too, as I running out of them fast (selling/trading/gifting). They hatched from a ooth September 6, and they molted to L2 September 19th. They are currently 18 days old and love to run amok when I get them out of their communal habitat. :D

Here is one that I got to finally pose for me, although he is swaying anyway. ;) He did the typical nymph thing and jumped off my hand repetitively when I had him out. He did it three times, but luckily I caught him before he hit the carpet all 3 times too. I've found the fall doesn't seem to hurt them being so small, but finding them really can be a task! They measure in at the moment just short of 1/2" and have a tiny girth - although this one has a pot belly from so many FF's.

griffinl2-1.jpg
griffinl2-2.jpg

I would like to add in on Alex's post... In regards to the male (Kaz), we must keep in mind that I sent him around... What? Pre-sub/subadult? And still ended up with blue...

Now what do you think he would be looked like if he had grown up in a completely blue set-up from L1-Up?

And he did end up obviously pink hued... But was also found the same in star as kaz.

Thomas... I myself believe you should run the color experiment on a few of your hatchlings ;)

Lol
Nice. Orange is my favorite color, but no so sure about hunter orange; although, it might make for a hunters best friend. :D

Try to remind me when I get ready to hatch some ooths after diapause, I'll have to try out some colors. I've added a note in my mantid log too. ;)

Lol
He had two molts with me, so you did send him as a presub, yup! and thats what i was thinking, if we started at L1, i imagine he would have been even more blue for sure! Though im impressed even with the amount of blue he had

Yeah, carolinas definitely seem to take on the color theyre surrounded with!

I also think he should try it out, thatd be fun to be able to experiment with a whole bunch of nymphs!

Great Pics! Some of those Ghost pics are spectacular!!!

I do have a soft spot for them, and my current two Ghosts are taking on different colors. One is taking on a green hue, and the other is developing a tan/yellow coloring. Not sure why the changes, I know it is attributed to humidity usually, but both receive the same care and are kept side by side.

I went out to see how many fresh ooths were around the front yard area with my mom today. Got to the bottom of the stairs and as soon as I started to walk around the side, this little gravid Carolina was sitting there ready to come in. I went in and got my transport/capture container and brought her in, but she would have likely preferred to ride in my hand.

Here she is on the lid of my capture container, I figured the lid showed off her colors better. I introduced "my new girl" to my wife, and I said it that way, but she only laughed as she figured out what I was talking about. My wife actually oohed and aahed over her a bit, and then she decided she wanted to name her Dotty. ;)

dotty1.jpg

dotty2.jpg

She's a pretty lady. I wish they lived here in Maine.
She is, seems the later the season is getting the more beautiful their coloration is. :tt1:

The Carolina mantis should be in your state naturally, as it has been recorded there (and as far north as cold Alaska). It's also listed as number 50 on this list too. Maybe you just need to introduce a few ooths early in spring in your area to get their population numbers back. ;)

Wow, that's a one stunning carolina! Never seen one that pretty before. Most of the ones I find in my area are jet green or mottled grayish brown.
Typically so have been mine, but here lately there are some beautiful ones coming out. Perhaps they have been in hiding and are out just to lay ooths, if that is the case makes me wonder where they lived to pick-up such colors. :D

I went out to see how many fresh ooths were around the front yard area with my mom today. Got to the bottom of the stairs and as soon as I started to walk around the side, this little gravid Carolina was sitting there ready to come in. I went in and got my transport/capture container and brought her in, but she would have likely preferred to ride in my hand.

Here she is on the lid of my capture container, I figured the lid showed off her colors better. I introduced "my new girl" to my wife, and I said it that way, but she only laughed as she figured out what I was talking about. My wife actually oohed and aahed over her a bit, and then she decided she wanted to name her Dotty. ;)

She is a beautiful one!! Haha funny about your wife

She is a beautiful one!! Haha funny about your wife
Yeah my wife is strange about my mantids. I asked her why she wanted to name it and she said I tried to make her name the last one, so she thought she should name this one. :D

Great updates... I have missed a few... but I am all caught up now... Good job Thomas

Great updates... I have missed a few... but I am all caught up now... Good job Thomas
Thanks Denise. Lots more photos to post, but always find it hard to get them all out for a picture day without escaping feeders. Although I have a 4 species at the moment the vast majority are Carolinas. ;)

Latest posts