Don L.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pohchunyee

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 Gambian Spotted Eyes from Don. The ooths came in promptly and well packed. Transaction went smoothly. To my surprise, he add in some extra ooths in my order. Today, 2 of the ooths hatched and about 30+ babies emerged. I am very happy with my purchase.

received my ooth a few days ago, Don was very helpful with providing info and also sent extra ooth! Thanks :)

I received some P. virescen and E. pictipes ooths today (Saturday) that I recently ordered from Don. He was nice enough to send an extra E. pictipes ooth! It was a very nice surprise and I surely appreciate it!

Communication with Don was great, and the transaction went smoothly. I'm a little bit concerned and hope with being in transit over 5 days (mailed Monday) they didn't get too cold for too long. The post has been slow due to the holiday rush, and our low temps have been in the teens and 20's f. The 10 hour heat pack he included would have expired the first day. But hopefully they spent much of their time in heated postal buildings and trucks, and all will be well. Thank you very much Don!

Becky Heacox

Edit/Update: 7/11/2009 - I apologize to all for not updating this, when I definitely should have. Initially I thought things went OK with my transaction. But out of 2 P. virescens ooths, only 1 lonely little nymph hatched from one of them, then died the next day. None of the E. pictipes ooths ever hatched.

Last edited by a moderator:
recieved my Creobroter elongata ooth today. good comunication and it arrived even sooner than expected. will buy from his stock in the future for sure :)

I also just got 2 C. elongata ooths from Don. Don's great to communicate with... he keeps you posted about the merchandise and when it should get to you, and is very conscientious about trying to help keep shipping costs down. Nice guy to deal with. ;)

Becky Heacox

Update: One of the ooths has hatched. It yielded only 5 nymphs, but are all doing well at a week old.

[SIZE=8pt]This post has been edited by Katnapper: Feb 24 2009, 11:43 PM [/SIZE]

Update: 7/11/2009 - The other ooth never hatched.

I just got a bunch of "mystery brown mantis" nymphs from Don. Neatly packed, and he took a hit on the Express shipping cost.

He was full of information about these nymphs and forwarded the Express tracking number. As usual, the package arrived in Yuma at 1510 on the day after mailing, and as usual, the (GIF for people whose parents are unmarried) didn't deliver until 24 hrs later, so I did well to have only one corpse, and since he tossed in a few extras, I ended up ahead of the game.

Thanx Don!

I recieved two pairs of C. elongata from Don 24 hours after shipped. They all were in great shape. The transaction was great, a very helpful and forthcoming person to deal with. Another satisfied customer.

Ray

Don L. goes far above and beyond what anyone would expect from a breeder. Don sent me an Ooth a couple of months ago that didn't hatch. I mentioned it to him in conversation and he just sent me more than roughly 10 ooths! My God this guy is AMAZING! He took a bunch of his time to explain what they eat and how they need to be housed. His shipping is PERFECT. He charged me NOTHING but shipping for the new ooths. Don is generous, kind, and very polite. He's a good person and he's a GREAT breeder. I feel like were becoming friends, that's how good his communication is.

If you want a GREAT breeder who cares about YOU and your mantids, you need look no further than Don L.

AMAZING!

A+++++++

SUPER-Breeder

I recently purchase an Idolomantis diabolica ooth from Don. The ooth arrive Saturday June 6. Don made the effort to send the link to check the weather in Tanzania etc.... very smooth and fast transaction! The ooth hatched this morning with 26 nymphs!! Thanks!!

More hatched....LOL... I have 38 nymphs now!!!

[SIZE=14pt]Yellow there Don was cool the deal was smooth, he is helpful with hatching, the coolest was the weather link B) . The shipment cane in well packed & the Ooths where good to. I will buy from him again.[/SIZE]

Just received my extremely well packed, excellent condition Devil's Flower Ooth from Don. Excellent packing, quick shipping, good prices, great communication, beautiful product. Will definitely do business with Don again!!

This is the second time I ordered ooths from Don, after the first three came I sent him an email telling him the ooths appeared to be already hatched and I described their appearance to him & then sent him a picture of the ooths so he could see what I was talking about. I never asked him for a refund or any compensation. He emailed me a few times and said the seller was sent a message telling him what we were looking for. The last ooth I purchased was suppossed to be clean and white with no large ooth hatching marks. The package I received today was clearly old and after opening it, found rotting eggs that smelled foul. The package was damaged and marked such with the post office sticker on it indicating so. The following pictures are the package he sent me that I received today. It had the two short sides open and was taped with scotch tape with one piece of packing tape down the middle that only stuck to the ends. I was told by Don that it would have 3 different types of tape stuck to it, but was securely taped shut, notice how he mentioned that. After giving him 421.00 one would think that he could at least use a box that even if used had some life left to it, it also had a rip in the bottom of the box. If any mantis was to of hatched in there, they would of been long gone, an adult mantis could of hopped out of the box, also the first box he sent, he had indicated the ooths were packed to insure if hatching they would be ok, I did tell him that they had all fallen off of the sticks he had glues them to. The ooth I received today was glued the same way, only on a molded stick. I am assuming Don thinks I am a fool, which to of delt with him again after the first bunch maybe I am, I did figure to try again being as another forum member had an ooth hatch from Don. But I do like to give people a second chance, which is only fair, but after what he sent today, I can only say, I was so dissapointed and wish all forum members to beware of Don and what he sells. If he did me this way, what will he take you for. I can almost understand the ooth being rotten, but what I cannot understand is the way he sent it, as if to say, here, stick this! Anyone who would send what he considered to be a viable ooth in a box like that is clearly saying I don't care about you or this ooth.

This is the ooths he sent, all with rotting eggs inside

MVC-759F.jpg

This is the inside of box, notice the scotch tape, where a mantis could get stuck.

MVC-756F-1.jpg

condition of outside of box before opening.

MVC-752F-1.jpg

other side of box

MVC-754F-1.jpg

inside of box with ooth

MVC-755F-1.jpg

Inside of ooth

MVC-758F-1.jpg

A few members have left feedback, but how many have updated his profile saying the ooths

purchased from him have hatched? I for one intended to leave feedback, but had no idea it was going to be like this, I have asked him for a refund and he has refused. Once again, before buying from him, look at the box he sent my ooth in and ask yourself, do u want to feel like I do tonight?

One last thought, Don said he kept all my emails, which is good, because any fool knows to keep theirs and if u should delete one, dont fret, look in your sent box, your replies will be there waiting for you. And we all know I keep all of mine.

I ordered two I. diabolica ooths from Don. He kept me updated on the order in a timely fashion (order has been send to collector in Tanzania, shipment cleared customs, I just received shipment, I will ship to you Monday, etc.) They came in well packaged and hopefully will hatch. Always a risk with the shipping times involved and wild collected ooths, but they look like good ooths to me. Unlike Hibiscussmile, I don't smell any bad odors from them and they don't appear hatched yet. He also gave me some tips on caging they nymphs and weather conditions where the ooths were collected. He also sent them to me express mail even though I originally asked (and paid) for priority. I am happy he did, as I was thinking about it and thought that priority shipping was a mistake considering the time delays in international shipping/customs. I paid him the difference in shipping costs even though he didn't ask for the difference. I am anxiously waiting for a hatch and I would buy from him again.

Rodney

Just an update. After waiting a sufficient time for the ooths to hatch, I opened one up to find a bunch of dried up nymphs. Since I had been keeping them at very close to 100% humidity the entire time I had them, I am sure they were dried up before I received them. I'm very disappointed, but don't blame Don. He was a pleasure sending messages back and forth with, and the ooths I received did contain nymphs--probably died in transit.

Rodney

Yesterday I recived new ooths from Don! Ooths look great so I can't wait for hatching momment! Thanks again Don ! :)

Latest posts