A positively random question.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyK

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on making a week-long trip down to SC late march via plane, and I have three mantis nymphs. Now, I have a couple people who would be willing to take care of them while I'm gone (although I don't trust them enough to properly take care of them... I'm a control freak >.>), but I've been wondering...

Would it be at all possible for me to take them with me?

As in, does any one know if I can legally carry them in my carry on, and if I CAN... would they be able to handle the difference in pressure? I'm planning on keeping them close so that they can at least stay warm... I was hoping I'd be able to put them into a smaller container for travel, and then just check my baggage with their normal enclosures in it.

I'm not sure what instar they're in, but I'm going to go with second. They were REALLY tiny (like cubic centimeter tiny) when I first got them, and they've all molted to around 1.5-2 square centimeters. I got them via mantisplace.com about... oh, two or three weeks ago.

So... yeah. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

-CaseyK

You can take them on your trip, but it's illegal even if they are native to the US. That usually doesn't stop most people though, me included.

If you wrap their cages in a towel and put them in your carry-on bag (big purse), the x-ray won't detect it. Trust me, I've done it many times. :p All the ones I took were fine after the trip - so I don't think air pressure is a big deal. Make sure to include lots of excelsior in the cage(s), because hanging on a lid when the plane passes through some turbulence is pretty challenging for a mantis.

Anyway, good luck with your nymphs. You might want to the same thing with one of your fruit fly vials too, unless you know that the place you're going to will have fruit flies for sale in a petstore or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not legal but I snuck a number of insects (mainly grasshoppers) when I was younger on planes so I could bring them on vacation with me. I haven't done that though since before 911 when airport security was nothing like it is now. I would be too worried they would find them on me through getting picked for a random bag search or somehting. I've had that happened a total of three times on one freaken trip. I guess something about 100 pound, young white female screams suicide bomber. <_<

I also always used to sneak my bugs through the metal detectors not through the X ray. Mantida, aren't you worried that the radiation emitted might have some adverse effect?

I also always used to sneak my bugs through the metal detectors not through the X ray. Mantida, aren't you worried that the radiation emitted might have some adverse effect?
Not worried too much. I've only done it with one mantis actually, but the little bugger was fine after and is subadult right now.

I also sneak mine through the metal detectors. I wear big hoodies and put the cages in the excess space of the sleeves of the hoodie.

I don't usually get checked because I'm not an adult yet, so it probably does pose some risk for other, older people.

Heh I wasn't an adult either when I was pulled aside three seperate times. It was only a year after the incident though and I haven't flown lately so maybe things have cooled down since then.

Mantida, what about bringing insects back from other countries like Florida? (I live in UK) If I got some insects from there and brought them back would I be safe going through the metal detectors? (I mean really safe :unsure: )

P.S. I'm 14.

Mantida, what about bringing insects back from other countries like Florida? (I live in UK) If I got some insects from there and brought them back would I be safe going through the metal detectors? (I mean really safe :unsure: )P.S. I'm 14.
Should be okay, but if they pull you aside you may be a goner. That's why sometimes its best to put them in small-ish cages and wrap it in a towel on your carry on bag. I think the x-rays won't have an affect, but I don't know. I've never thought about that before though. :huh:

Just be sure to wear a large hoodie if you do it. :lol:

there are no restriction on the importation of carnivorous insects to the UK (although i think there may be some restrictions on herbirous animals). Also, there may be some laws regarding exportation of native animals eg Australia. I've been through london heathrow (a pretty big airport in the UK) many times, no one is ever at the customs to check. Although it's probably best to declare it when going through customs, as long as you know what you're importing, i think they'll be fine with it. Best to check DEFRA's website to make sure

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/i.../bal_live_8.htm

Pet invertebrates (except bees & crustaceans)

Invertebrates are animals that do not have a backbone, e.g. ants, beetles & worms. There are no animal health import requirements for pet invertebrates. These animals can be brought into the UK as long as they are accompanied by their owner and a letter from a vet or the owner saying that the animals are fit and healthy to complete the journey.

* Note: Many invertebrates have the potential to be serious plant pests in Europe, and are therefore prohibited under plant health rules. A summary of these Adobe Acrobat PDF icon (640 KB) can be found on the plant health pages of the Defra website.

Currently, there is no limit on the number of pet invertebrates that an owner can bring into the UK.

Imports from countries outside of the EU

Any imports from non-EU Member States into the UK must be via a Border Inspection Post (BIP).

You must give 24 hours prior notice by a Common Veterinary Entry Document (CVED) which can be obtained from your local Animal Health Divisional Office or BIP. Part 1 must be completed and returned to the BIP of entry into the EU.

Okay, I don't follow, at one point it says there's no restrictions stopping you doing this and then says you need something like a BIP! Can someone decipher the conditions when getting insects from Florida and bringing it back into the UK?

You can take them on your trip, but it's illegal even if they are native to the US. That usually doesn't stop most people though, me included.If you wrap their cages in a towel and put them in your carry-on bag (big purse), the x-ray won't detect it. Trust me, I've done it many times. :p All the ones I took were fine after the trip - so I don't think air pressure is a big deal. Make sure to include lots of excelsior in the cage(s), because hanging on a lid when the plane passes through some turbulence is pretty challenging for a mantis.

Anyway, good luck with your nymphs. You might want to the same thing with one of your fruit fly vials too, unless you know that the place you're going to will have fruit flies for sale in a petstore or something.
Well.... wouldn't they get concerned at a gigantic unreadable mass passing under their machines, and want to check it out? I had a metal tin in my purse and they completely wigged out on me for it... then again, that was metal. And when you say "big towel," it makes me think of a bath towel. How big a towel for something the size of like an 8oz cup like this one:

8ozCup400.jpg

?

And as far as the fruit flies go (and aside from the fact that I need to get my hands on a culture and split up the colony so I have more later on...), I'm thinking I'll just stuff the vial into one of the mantises transportation enclosure... thingies. Tell me if this is a bad idea, haha ^_^

And another thing... if they do indeed find the mantis, and have a major problem with them... what will happen to them? I've never really had anything taken away from me at an airport (save one of the two lighters I was carrying and a Gatorade...), so will they just huck them in the trash, or let me send them to myself? Should I bring heat packs with me in case they tell me to mail them to myself?

Thanks!

-CaseyK

Mantida, what about bringing insects back from other countries like Florida? (I live in UK) If I got some insects from there and brought them back would I be safe going through the metal detectors? (I mean really safe :unsure: )P.S. I'm 14.
sorry..u cant..they would take it off u..when u check in u have to empty your pockets and walk through the xray thing.they xray your bag and u..the only way u could do it is if u put it in your bag which gets checked in when u arrive...but even then it might get xrayed.just ship them its easier.. ;)

Okay, I don't follow, at one point it says there's no restrictions stopping you doing this and then says you need something like a BIP! Can someone decipher the conditions when getting insects from Florida and bringing it back into the UK?
i know graham has to have a licence to bring them back from other countries but from what i gather hes the only mantid breeder in the uk that has a lisance to do this.

And another thing... if they do indeed find the mantis, and have a major problem with them... Thanks!

-CaseyK
u wil have a choice..either fly and loose your mantids or dont fly and go home with them..there not in the position to confiscate items then make sure they get back to there rightful owner..they couldn't give a rats ######..wonder what they do with them?i know stuff like snakes and other stuff the r.s.p.c.a takes them on..but not sure about insects.. :p

Latest posts