Adult Ghost mantis dying?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamkeir

Reaction score
My adult male Ghost mantis seems to be dying.

He's been growing more sluggish each day, and finding it hard to hang on to surfaces. Much like my Indian Flower that passed away, I've been letting him sit in one of my plants so he's more comfortable.

Today, though, he cannot even stand and his antennae seem floppy and dry-looking. Based on the food count I keep, he's not eaten for quite some time too. I think he's taking his final breaths as I type this

There doesn't seem to be any sign of infection or illness, and he is quite old - as with my Indian Flower, around the 7/8 month mark - but I still thought he'd have another 2/4 months left in him? That said, I did get him from a friend so cannot be totally sure how old he is.

My room is approx 20 degrees C and I keep all my mantids misted every other day or so.

Is he just an old man?

Yes, the males dont live long after becoming adult, I would say yours did quite good! ;)
Hello hibiscusmile! Thanks for getting back to me.

I thought that they lived for 10 - 12 months but I did feed him well and he reached adulthood very quickly - I guess food can influence lifespan?

I thought that they lived for 10 - 12 months but I did feed him well and he reached adulthood very quickly - I guess food can influence lifespan?
There are many factors that can influence lifespan. Unfortunately, males just don't live as long as female, temperature, genetics, food availability, and on and on. I would just move on and try not to blame yourself. :)

There are many factors that can influence lifespan. Unfortunately, males just don't live as long as female, temperature, genetics, food availability, and on and on. I would just move on and try not to blame yourself. :)
+1, she pretty much nailed it.(they need bigger food as adults than ff's) :)

Thank you both! I did get him from a friend and I wasn't able to ascertain his exact age so he could well have been older. He has passed away now - I let him relax and take his final hours in one of my house plants. Bless him.

Re the fruit flies - I'm a bit confused by conflicting opinion - I was told that, although they obviously prefer larger prey as they grow older (which he did actually receive - curly-wing flies & crickets), they can be still be brought up on fruit flies (just rather a lot once they're adult). I take your advice though, thank you.

Latest posts