Alexander's Mantids: 2012 - Present

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
August 19th

Neptune (hatchling male Heterochaeta) joined Galactica and reached L6!

neptune__l6_male_heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d96msay.jpg

Poor guy hurt his eye, not sure how.

August 20th

Update on the Mantis religiosa I collected. The three males I originally caught ALL died, poor souls. x_x The first one I caught, Marlon Brando, was eaten by the brown female. The second one I'd named "Ricky Retardo" after "Ricky Ricardo" from "I Love Lucy". I've never actually seen the show but it was referenced in a movie I like, "Cable Guy". I'd switched the "Ricardo" with "Retardo" because he really was doing horribly trying to mate!!! A down-right fool. The female got ahold of him a few times, I kept separating them, but it was too late because he was dead at the bottom of the cage the next morning. She must have pierced something internally. And the third one was also eaten unfortunately.

I went out and collected three more. One for me, one for a member here, and one other just cause. The third one was a sub-adult male and he reached adulthood here. He was missing half his claw, and it didn't grow back unfortunately, but he's healthy. Looked like it was chewed off, I'm thinking by a female. He's lucky to have survived!

Well anyways. One of the males I put with a female, and he didn't do well. She got ahold of him, but I separated them and he's okay, even three days later, so it seems he won't pass. I tried the second male, and boom. He obviously knew what he was doing. She didn't react aggressively toward him and he snuck up on her very slowly. He just jumped on her backwards, then righted himself, and inserted. And so I named him "Ricky The Smart-o".

LAME had told me before that he read related Tenodera sinensis sometimes refuse to mate, which I believe is true because my Tenodera siblings never mated, it seemed impossible, and I had multiple males. Then I found a new Tenodera at a different spot and they mated easily. It did seem very similar to the situation with the religiosa. I wonder though if it'd be possible for any religiosa in that field to NOT be related?

Anyways, he mated with the green female for 4 to 4 1/2 hours and then jumped off.

mantis_religiosa_mating_by_alexandersmantids-d96mrti.jpg

August 21st

And this morning, Zeltor (original female Heterochaeta) reached L9.

zeltor__l9_female_heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d96msrw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems persistence paid off, too bad so many males met their doom in the process though - maybe she was just reaching her fill before the last one made it, ie. she finally gave up. ;)

Your Heterochaeta are doing great. They are a interesting species and seem to be a cross of what happens if a mantid could mate with a phasmid (walking stick). :D

Seems persistence paid off, too bad so many males met their doom in the process though - maybe she was just reaching her fill before the last one made it, ie. she finally gave up. ;)

Your Heterochaeta are doing great. They are a interesting species and seem to be a cross of what happens if a mantid could mate with a phasmid (walking stick). :D
I found it odd because two of the new males I caught, I tried to breed her with. The first one she reacted very aggressively towards, but didnt't even MOVE when the second male jumped on her and inserted. It was within the span of 24 hours, tops. Maybe you're right that she was feeling hungry, but she ate after mating but didn't try eating him. It's hard to tell why she reacted so positively with that male as opposed to the others. I just fed her a moment ago and she was quite aggressive with me too, flaring her wings and striking me as I tried to hand-feed her.

They certainly are, thank you! I find them interesting too, and I thought that same thing! Lol.

I found it odd because two of the new males I caught, I tried to breed her with. The first one she reacted very aggressively towards, but didnt't even MOVE when the second male jumped on her and inserted. It was within the span of 24 hours, tops. Maybe you're right that she was feeling hungry, but she ate after mating but didn't try eating him. It's hard to tell why she reacted so positively with that male as opposed to the others. I just fed her a moment ago and she was quite aggressive with me too, flaring her wings and striking me as I tried to hand-feed her.

They certainly are, thank you! I find them interesting too, and I thought that same thing! Lol.
Perhaps the 2nd male was simply a mantid stud
lol.gif

If you flared at you too maybe she is just having a bad day. Although my adult females all tend to be more aggressive, especially compared to their previous instar stages. Have your other females been more aggressive too when compared to their previous instar stages?

Perhaps the 2nd male was simply a mantid stud
lol.gif

If you flared at you too maybe she is just having a bad day. Although my adult females all tend to be more aggressive, especially compared to their previous instar stages. Have your other females been more aggressive too when compared to their previous instar stages?
Haha! He did seem to really know what he was doing!

I think she acts this way mostly because she was a wild adult, so is more alert/reactive/defensive.

I have noticed that with some species. I think as they get bigger, they realize that their main defense can't be hiding anymore, because they're easier to spot. So I think they have to start trying to be scary.

Nate and I also noticed that females that are ready to lay an ooth get angry easily.

August 23rd

Silver reached what I think is L6, but for some reason, he is so much smaller than my other two? I checked and the bigger ones are indeed male. It's odd. I may have miscounted the molts on this guy.

silver__heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d97mjpy.jpg

August 24th

Supermantis reached adulthood! Ain't he special?

adult_male_tenodera_sinensis__supermantis_by_alexandersmantids-d97mjd6.jpg

August 27th

Brahma (female Hierodula xishaensis) reached L6!

brahma__l6_female_hierodula_xishaensis_by_alexandersmantids-d97mkke.jpg

How come some of my mantids have scars on their eyes??

August 28th

Chip (male Hierodula xishaensis) reached L6 as well!

chip__l6_male_hierodula_xishaensis_by_alexandersmantids-d97mj1x.jpg

August 29th

Lawless (male Idolo)... aw boy... well, those of you who have viewed my thread know that he lost the walking hairs on two of his feet the last molt. Well, for this molt, as he was getting ready, he kept falling. So I used nail glue to glue his feet to the top. He molted, but lost a leg, due to the positioning of one of his legs. I must not have glued it in a very good spot. And on top of losing a leg (one of the two that had walking hairs), the walking hairs on his other feet didn't grow back. So he had one working leg. I tried helping him by gluing hooks to the end of his feet which worked for a moment. But then he fell and his claw bent, and his legs bent, and he could not stand or hang. So with much difficulty I froze him. Rest in peace Lawless.

Same day, Amico reached L9.

amico__l9_female_heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d97mkys.jpg

Sorry Lawless didn't make, it sounds like you tried everything possible though. It is odd about their eyes getting damaged, perhaps it has something to do with the mesh material you use (or something else in all their habitats).

Your boy Chip is still doing great, and looks to be a big camera ham still. :D

The eye issue is probably caused by them rubbing their face against their enclosures walls... I had a few Carolina females do that... Usually its the wild ones though.

Sorry Lawless didn't make, it sounds like you tried everything possible though. It is odd about their eyes getting damaged, perhaps it has something to do with the mesh material you use (or something else in all their habitats).

Your boy Chip is still doing great, and looks to be a big camera ham still. :D
I literally didnt leave the house for a week, waiting for him and makin sure id be there to help. Still didnt help, its really disappointing. Workin on getting a replacement.

Yeah it may be the screen i glued to the sides

The eye issue is probably caused by them rubbing their face against their enclosures walls... I had a few Carolina females do that... Usually its the wild ones though.
What are they doin that for! Lol, crazies

What are they doin that for! Lol, crazies
I know several of my wild caught mantids seem to do the "let me out" digging/thrashing for the first 2-6 hours especially, but most never do it again after 24 hours. Going from running loose to a habitat is a shell shock for them, and the smaller nymphs seem to adapt better too.

I figured though with your species in the photos they weren't wild caught though.
help2.gif

Lol whenever i see eye scars i just know its a nosey mantis in a plastic or glass enclosure.

I know several of my wild caught mantids seem to do the "let me out" digging/thrashing for the first 2-6 hours especially, but most never do it again after 24 hours. Going from running loose to a habitat is a shell shock for them, and the smaller nymphs seem to adapt better too.

I figured though with your species in the photos they weren't wild caught though.
help2.gif
Yeah i got those guys from here, mantidforum. Its weird. Maybe they are ready for bigger homes! imma set em up

September 12th

Blaar (male ghost) molted to L5!

blaar__l5_male_phyllocrania_paradoxa_by_alexandersmantids-d99mm0a.jpg

Kamakiri (female Heterochaeta sp.) reached L10! Wow! And oddly... her wings STILL don't look like they belong to a sub? Well, we will find out with her next molt. But she is now almost 4 1/2 inches!

kamakiri__female_heterochaeta_l10_by_alexandersmantids-d99moa0.jpg

Brahma (female Hierodula xishaensis) reached L7:

l7_female_hierodula_xishaensis__brahma_by_alexandersmantids-d99mosj.jpg

Galactica (male Heterochaeta sp) reached L7:

galactica__l7_male_heterochaeta_sp_by_alexandersmantids-d99mp9e.jpg

September 14th

Neptune (male Heterochaeta) reached L6...? I think? I messed up on the amount of molts for him.

neptune__l6_male_heterochaeta_sp__by_alexandersmantids-d99mpqt.jpg

And I bought more Idolos, some from Exo. They were supposed to be at L3 but they are at L1, but it's okay. He sent me two extras which is awesome. He did send me one L3 but it mis-molted during transit. But he may make it, he just has a hunch and half his shield is curled downward. He can still hold and eat on his own and can hang upside down and stand.

Here is the little "oddity", as LAME referred to him. He is going to be shipped to LAME Wednesday:

l3_male_idolomantis__slightly_deformed_by_alexandersmantids-d99mq9f.jpg

And here is one of the L1s, which LAME and I think is female.

l1_idolomantis_nymph_by_alexandersmantids-d99mqlq.jpg

Til next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bro, nice update. I'm loving the Heterochaeta! Make me want to keep them again.

What happened to Baline?
Thanks! yeah the chaeta are awesome! im enjoyin em.

Baline hasnt molted to L8 yet so no updates for her, should be soon though!

I've already got a name chosen for my newest oddity, fitting enough for his current state. ;)

Can't wait to see the little guy though... You know he'll be overly watched and well pampered.

I've already got a name chosen for my newest oddity, fitting enough for his current state. ;)

Can't wait to see the little guy though... You know he'll be overly watched and well pampered.
Yeah?? whatcha gonna name him??

I do know that, good luck man, hope he arrives alive and well for ya!