Alexander's Mantids: 2012 - Present

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
September 30th

Brahma (female Hierodula xishaensis) reached L8:

brahma__l8_female_hierodula_xishaensis_by_alexandersmantids-d9cshra.jpg

Zeltor (original female Heterochaeta species) reached L10:

l10__zeltor__female_heterochaeta_species__by_alexandersmantids-d9csi3c.jpg

October 2nd

Chip (male Hierodula xishaensis) reached L8:

chip__l8_male_hierodula_xishaensis_by_alexandersmantids-d9csie0.jpg

October 3rd

Idolomantis diabolica #3 reached L3:

3_idolo_female__l3_by_alexandersmantids-d9csilx.jpg

She is female.

October 7th

The Polyspilota griffinii reached L3:

l3__griffinii__by_alexandersmantids-d9csk3w.jpg

October 8th

Amico (original female Heterochaeta) reached L10:

amico__female_heterochaeta__l10__by_alexandersmantids-d9cskem.jpg

October 11th

Idolomantis diabolica #5 reached L3:

l2_to_l3_idolo__number_5__by_alexandersmantids-d9cskpl.jpg

She is female as well.

So I have 3 females and 1 male where the little Idolos are concerned.

I also collected some Mantis relgiosa oothecae over at the place I'd collected the relgiosa. I just collected 2, as I want to be sure there are more next year.

mantis_religiosa_oothecae_by_alexandersmantids-d9cskyx.jpg

And here are Baline and Tacca. I put them together about 2 weeks ago. They no longer consider the other to be a threat. They just hang out together, like best pals.

tacca_and_baline_together__idolomantis_diabolica__by_alexandersmantids-d9cslbd.jpg

tacca_and_baline_eating_together__idolomantis__by_alexandersmantids-d9cslqi.jpg

October 11th

Another Idolo reached L3, #1:

number_1_idolomantis__l3_by_alexandersmantids-d9d50kw.jpg

Just waiting on the male now. I'm feeding him less so that he will reach adulthood around the same time as the females. Males have one less molt and it takes 1-2 months for females to reach adulthood when sub-adults. So I want him to be 1-2 molts behind the females. If I don't make sure of that, he will reach adulthood 1-2 months before they do, and he may not live long enough to mate with them. I was told that males do not live very longer once adults.

October 14th

Neptune (male Heterochaeta hatchling) molted. He looks to be at L6.

neptune__male_heterochaeta_species_by_alexandersmantids-d9d50t2.jpg

Joy (female Mantis religiosa) finally laid an ootheca. I did breed her so it should be fertile. She took quite a long time to lay it though! Wow.

joy_laying_an_ootheca__mantis_religiosa__by_alexandersmantids-d9d51ni.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...Joy (female Mantis religiosa) finally laid an ootheca. I did breed her so it should be fertile. She took quite a long time to lay it though! Wow.

She might be picky on choosing a place to lay her ooth. I know several of my Stagmomantis carolina females laid ooths much quicker if they have various sticks glued to their habitat lids - with most preferring to lay it between them on the lid.

Of course individual females vary in time between ooths, sticks or not. One female would lay one about every 8 days on average, and several of my most recent females are about 15 days. A thing of note though is once a female begins laying ooths they tend to take less time between progressive ooths.

She might be picky on choosing a place to lay her ooth. I know several of my Stagmomantis carolina females laid ooths much quicker if they have various sticks glued to their habitat lids - with most preferring to lay it between them on the lid.

Of course individual females vary in time between ooths, sticks or not. One female would lay one about every 8 days on average, and several of my most recent females are about 15 days. A thing of note though is once a female begins laying ooths they tend to take less time between progressive ooths.
She does have sticks in her enclosure, she still did lay it on the screen of her container lol, as close as she could get it to the heat lamp. Typical. She really took a long time to lay, I've never witnessed this sort of thing before. I read somewhere that male religiosa NEED to be beheaded for the mating to be successful. I was skeptical but now I'm wondering if that's true. Or if this species just takes longer than other to lay once having mated.

She does have sticks in her enclosure, she still did lay it on the screen of her container lol, as close as she could get it to the heat lamp. Typical. She really took a long time to lay, I've never witnessed this sort of thing before. I read somewhere that male religiosa NEED to be beheaded for the mating to be successful. I was skeptical but now I'm wondering if that's true. Or if this species just takes longer than other to lay once having mated.
Ha, that is very typical. I prefer they do lay on the mesh though, as it is easier to collect the ooths anyway. Time will tell for both though about the beheading/time required, if the ooths hatch. ;) I imagine though as with my females, after the first ooth they tend to get faster at the process of "building" then laying the ooths. Best of luck with her.

October 16th

Heterodox (male Idolo, Lawless' replacement, that I got from Mikhail) reached sub-adulthood (L7)! It was a very nerve-wracking moment for me, as Lawless had to be put down after mis-molting on this molt (due to the issues from his previous molt; the loss of the walking hairs because of my foolish idea to leave a heat lamp above him before he molted). So now Heterodox is a sub, and is at the same stage as the females. It's exciting that he is doing well. And now just one more molt. I'll feed him til he catches up the the size of the females (abdomen-wise) and then from there I'll feed them all the same amount until they reach adulthood. I want to be sure they all reach adulthood around the same time. Idolos are such a nerve-wracking species to own, haha.

heterodox__male_idolo__hanging_from_exuvia_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlo93.jpg

heterodox__l7_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlpfw.jpg

heterodox_face__l7_male_idolomantis_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlq40.jpg

I love the thick antennae. I can't wait to see his adult form, with big and red, fluffy antennae.

Same day, Galactica (male Heterochaeta hatchling) reached what I think is L8. He's catching up! I'll be able to breed them soon. Seems that the females are subs after all, according the the look of their wing buds. I can't wait to see how big the adult female is! They are already the longest mantids I have ever owned. (4 1/2").

galactica__l8_male_heterochaeta_hatchling_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlqr0.jpg

It's hard to get photos of the Heterochaeta, they're so hyper, lol. I need to feed them before photographing next time. The focus is kind of off on this photo.

October 17th

The #3 Idolo reached L4!

3___idolo___l4_female_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlr9n.jpg

October 18th

#6 Idolo reached L3... the male:

6__l3_male_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlrid.jpg

And here are some photos of Tacca, the second sub-adult female:

tacca_s_face__l8_female_idolomantis_diabolica_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlrtb.jpg

tacca_eating__l8_female_idolo_by_alexandersmantids-d9dls0w.jpg

tacca_in_the_wild_cage_by_alexandersmantids-d9dls9k.jpg

And here is one of the L3 females, getting some time in the wild cage:

5___l3___idolo_by_alexandersmantids-d9dlsge.jpg

Ha, that is very typical. I prefer they do lay on the mesh though, as it is easier to collect the ooths anyway. Time will tell for both though about the beheading/time required, if the ooths hatch. ;) I imagine though as with my females, after the first ooth they tend to get faster at the process of "building" then laying the ooths. Best of luck with her.
I haven't removed it yet, but I hope it won't ruin the screen lol. I might have to replace it if there's some left over ooth on it. It is easier to collect though, when it comes to the ooth itself. Yes, soon we will find out. Or at least, eventually. I do hope it hatches! Oh that's interesting! And thank you. Best of luck with your mantids as well.

Lol... Don't worry D.

I tend to do it a lot myself... ;)

-Alex.

Loving the updates bro.. I love the photo of the female hierodula standing behind her exo, THAT.... is awesome!

October 19th

The Polyspilota griffinii reached L4! Still can't tell the sex, I need to feed him/her before taking a photo so the little one stays still enough for a good photo of the segments lol. According to the antennae I'm guessing male, but not positive yet so I don't wanna jump the gun.

l4__griffinii_by_alexandersmantids-d9e3yew.jpg

l4__griffinii_by_alexandersmantids-d9e3ymm.jpg

October 20th

And Silver, one of the male Heterochaeta hatchlings, reaccched... Idk, L6 or L7. I've done a horrible job keeping track of their molts!! I miscounted at one point and now I'm lost.

silver__male_heterochaeta_species_by_alexandersmantids-d9e3yre.jpg

Lil round eye!

Oh! And I wanted to show you guys this weird video I took of Heterodox (subadult male Idolo). He posed at Tacca, got scared, he's not used to being social lol. And the black spots under his arms pulsed in an odd manner! I wonder if it's a part of the pose, like it was done deliberately?

Interesting, eh??

The L4 Griffin is male after all! Counted 8 segments. So finally I can name him... Peter!! Hahaha... Peter Griffin! Had to. If I get a female, I wanna name her Lois!

And then sad news... Octber 24th, Zeltor passed away. I put the Heterochaeta together, and Amico got ahold of her abdomen. It hardened and there was dried blood coming out. I didn't see it happen but it's obvious that was the cause. Today her abdomen became soft instead of hard and it was leaking really badly. She was slow and weak too. So I put her down. :( RIP Zeltor. Sad to lose her, I've had her for so long, and she only had one molt left. I separated them now, I won't be putting this species together again.

Sorry for your loss...

Peter... is a great Griffin name... LOL