All mantis species illegal (Canada)?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo

Reaction score
I have been pondering for quite some time now , why Canada ( or at least british columbia )banned all mantis species from being allowed in the country, with the sole exception of the egyptian Mio's.

Why have they labeled mantids an " invasive species " thus disallowing them in BC , while egyptians are perfectly allowed?

I have been pondering for quite some time now , why Canada ( or at least british columbia )banned all mantis species from being allowed in the country, with the sole exception of the egyptian Mio's.

Why have they labeled mantids an " invasive species " thus disallowing them in BC , while egyptians are perfectly allowed?
Honestly, I don't know. Especially since most species in the hobby are exotic and most likely won't survive canada winters, that also puzzles me more.

Mantids are illegal because they eat our vegetation, their eggs survive the winter and hatch out perfectly in the spring time, and they kill our beloved dogs during their mating season...

I knew it! People said it was the coyotes eatting all the dogs around here, but I KNEW it was a mantis!!! I just KNEW IT!!!
Ya, heelllooooooooo, MegaMantis. They aren't even any cototes left because of it.

What do you mean only Egyptians are allowed?

What do you mean only Egyptians are allowed?
according to multiple petstore owners , only egyptians are legal and can often be found in stores.

I find this extremely interesting, given that they breed easier and survive better then most other species.

This is really strange news. I live in Austria, and the EU laws prohibit only keeping of European Mantis (Mantis Religiosa), because it is a native species (the only mantis native to Central Europe) here. We are not allowed to collect those from nature. And exotic mantids are not to be released (as it is law in most countries). There is no problem here with keeping exotic mantids as pets, but they mostly are sold only at fairs for terrarium animals.

according to multiple petstore owners , only egyptians are legal and can often be found in stores.

I find this extremely interesting, given that they breed easier and survive better then most other species.
I find that hard to believe. I wouldn't believe it until I saw it in official writing. Most bans are blanket bans.

My guess is that this is the only mantis in culture, locally, and that pet store owners are saying that it is legal to help sales. Maybe some have heard this and actually believe it, which is a sad way to run a business!

I find that hard to believe. I wouldn't believe it until I saw it in official writing. Most bans are blanket bans.
I also think that sounds wrong, but if it isn't, I am hoping that they won't beat anyone's door down because of a couple of carnivorous insects. :unsure:

A direct quote . Also, I have seen Egyptian mio's in multiple stores , but no other types.

"Hello,

Praying mantis of all species excluding the egyptian mantis are actually considered an envasive species and are illegal to sell, import or export in BC. You will not find any store (legally) that carries them. You may be able to find a private breeder that has them but I cant think of any off the top of my head that would have them. If you are looking for the common egyptian Mantis, I know Avery Exotics has them.

Thank you,

Natalie

Pj pets

Reptile manager."

A direct quote . Also, I have seen Egyptian mio's in multiple stores , but no other types.

"Hello,

Praying mantis of all species excluding the egyptian mantis are actually considered an envasive species and are illegal to sell, import or export in BC. You will not find any store (legally) that carries them. You may be able to find a private breeder that has them but I cant think of any off the top of my head that would have them. If you are looking for the common egyptian Mantis, I know Avery Exotics has them.

Thank you,

Natalie

Pj pets

Reptile manager."
By in writing I mean an official source, not somebody who runs a business trying to make money. An official document is the only way you can know for sure. It makes no sense to me that that one particular species was deemed fine while all the rest are not.

By in writing I mean an official source, not somebody who runs a business trying to make money. An official document is the only way you can know for sure. It makes no sense to me that that one particular species was deemed fine while all the rest are not.
This! :D

Petland is a well trusted company , and combining a few other stores , getting this in writing is unnecessary. All I know is that here, it's only egyptians . . .

Trust me, this makes no more sense to me then it does to you
I'm not saying they are not reputable, but I am saying I never take the word of a business owner on what is truly legal and what isn't. It makes zero sense that one species would be allowed and others would not be. Not trying to start anything, just saying that a law like that just wouldn't make any sense. Until I see it in offical wording I don't believe it. ;)

Latest posts