All mantis species illegal (Canada)?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ontarian here. Just spent all of last night researching the legality of importing mantids. Theres actually conflict of whether they require a permit or not on the CFIA website so I ended up calling the National Import Service Center. They told me that all species of mantid are considered biological control agents and wouldn't need a permit to import. and the AIRS form (http://airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca/Airs_External/Decisions.aspx?lang=1) said the same.

Ontarian here. Just spent all of last night researching the legality of importing mantids. Theres actually conflict of whether they require a permit or not on the CFIA website so I ended up calling the National Import Service Center. They told me that all species of mantid are considered biological control agents and wouldn't need a permit to import. and the AIRS form (http://airs-sari.ins...ons.aspx?lang=1) said the same.
Good finding but not sure if is true tho ... My understanding U can keep them but not sell lol ... I tried to Promote my mantis to a local pet shop once .. he say u can give me some mantis for display but I can't sell it for you lol ... I wish i can sell them to get some cost back feeder insect or containers.... No luck with any store ... But i heard Big Al's have Mantis but the one is Mississauga don't carry any .

Yeah I never checked about selling. Im just looking to own my first mantids at this point, and found someone in the states willing to sell me some Popa spurca mantids. Was worried they'd be held at the border so I did some research.

If I were looking to sell I'd probably place classifieds in the area. Newspapers, kijiji, etc.

even costco have some oteca,it's not forbiden to have some in canada.it's already enough for us to get some don't make it harder :)

I am from Ontario, Canada and I heard that only Mantis religiosa (a species that is naturalized here) and Tenodera sinensis are legal to keep. Tenodera sinensis oothecae are sold as biological pest control at a few places here.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know this is an old thread, but if they are illegal (except the egytian) then why is the Victoria bug zoo located in Victoria B.C. allowed to sell ooths from their tenodera aridifolia (chinese praying mantis) I also have a legal permit to have Tenodera aridifolia sinesis. The permist costs $30 and you just fill out a form... its easy to do and keeps it all legal.

In Ontario, both Mantis relgiosa and Tenodera sinensis are legal. Mantis religiosa occurs in the wild and Tenodera sinensis ooths are sold to the public as biological control for gardens.

Just make it simple Only Tenodera aridifolia chinese praying mantis and Mantis religiosa are legal. Any other type sp are Not ...... and i don't think u need a permit to keep chinese mantis .. they sell Ooth at HomeDepot in the summer time .

You dont need a permit to have but you need a permit to import them, which is what my permit is for.

Some native species are illegal to be kept as pets to prevent people from catching and keeping wild individuals.

Just generally though, most pet store owners don't know any specifics about laws and regulations. I work on a lot of different breeding projects and for example, I've heard like ten different stories on whether crayfish are allowed in Oregon or not. Long story short, any store that doesn't carry them will say they are illegal, and any store that carries them will say they are perfectly legal. *Hmmm I wonder why? lol*

But you can also apply for a zoo license. Then you're allowed to buy, sell, and breed.

You'd be more likely to get import papers if you're a zoo.

Holy my head hurts 🤣

Latest posts