Amazing idea for an amazing shelter

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quake

Reaction score
I have this big old bookshelf I used to use, and then it ended up being covered in nick-knacks and old documents, so recently I cleaned it off and turned it into a wall to practice spray painting on. After it lost it's usage for that, I moved it out of its room to be thrown away, and today someone mentioned covering the front with wire mesh, using the shelves as dividers, and making a giant habitat for multiple mantids. This will be my project over the next few months, as I get mantids to fill the space, sand off the old paint, and pick up the supplies.

If anyone wants to see pictures when I am finished, give me a ring.

BTW it is 30in wideX12in deepX60in tall! (Imagine how much I would have paid for a habitat that size at a pet store!)

wow thats a great idea mate

i remember my friend has a booksheld that's in perfect squares(6'Lx7H')(12"x12" squares), kinda like those japanese ones for vases,

well anyways, if you got to a home depot and bought some wire mesh and cover taht up , i dont think it'd be that much at all.

think about it, a whole show enclosure. for liek 20-30 bux at most maybe. that's a great idea man put posts of pics of it when ur done i would liek to see =)

Are the mantids in containers on the shelves or just loose in there? If they are free in there I can't see it working to well.

I would make a balsa frame over the mesh, to give it some stbility, and build little doors over the mesh, which I can cut out and make little latches on. The Mantis will be free in the enclosure, becuase the bookshelf IS the container.

I also am going to dril holes in the sides and cover with mesh or plastic (haven't decided the benefits of either) to put a lamp in each section.

I also thought of how dry my house gets in the winter, and how humidity can seep out of an open enclosure, so I am going to buy a humidity stone for each section.

They are little vibrating stones that you put in a dish of water, and they make a foggy mist, pure humidity, and they last forever, just add more water.

I also thought of how dry my house gets in the winter, and how humidity can seep out of an open enclosure, so I am going to buy a humidity stone for each section.They are little vibrating stones that you put in a dish of water, and they make a foggy mist, pure humidity, and they last forever, just add more water.
Is it like a humidifier? (The machine that produces foggy mist)

see that bookcase? just put some wire mesh over all of the fronts, and make some doors real quick ( i think if u make the door half the size that book case

shelf it should be good with feeder holes) lets see what kinda bookcase u have buddy! GOODLUCK POST PICS SOON!

one_tall_bookcase.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it is like a humidifier, but it takes a lot less energy, because it takes watch batteries, a lot smaller, and I can put it right inside the enclosure, and the mist is thinner. The cool thing is they only cost about $15

Please post pics when done. Are the lamps for heat or light? If for heat they will dry it out even more.

you should knock out one or two of the shelves to make a couple of larger containers, for maybe some p.paradoxa or g.gongylodes! if youre handy enough (and you sound like you are) to pull it off well then it sounds like a nice creative (not to mention money-saving) idea. ive thought about doing similar stuff but i'm not really handy enough to knock together the front doors. the main drawback i have thought of about doing this kind of thing is that bookshelves are not very deep. but beggars cant be choosers i guess. would love to see pics of the finished thing, good luck!

The lamps would be for light, and for heat during the correct time of year, but in the winter the reason it is dry is because I keep the heat in my house fairly high. So during the winter I will have the humidity stones, and some 25 watt bulbs(since my room is dark), and then come spring and fall I will use heater bulbs.

And the shelf thing is taken care of, it wasn't an expensive bookshelf, just a laminated fiberboard one from office depot I bought years ago for about $10. they run about $25 now, but the shelves move around and are mounted on pegs. I plan to make one big one in the center, since the middle shelf is screwed in, and then use that for breeding/ a larger adult species. And then I will have room for about 3-5 smaller habitats for small mantids or youngins.

The overall project will cost me not even $150.

$5 for more sandpaper and balsa wood framing (I have a sander already)

$20 for screen (a 25 foot roll which should leave me a lot of leftovers for any other ideas)

$10 for the drill bit to open a hole big enough for a lamps

$50 for extra lamps, I already have 2

$30 for multiple humidity stones

$5 for non toxic caulking, staples and furniture nails to secure the mesh tightly.

And after that I will have a habitat that I would probably have paid a few hundred dollars on.

If it works out in the end, I will be wanting to invest in some African,, Budwing, and/or wide Armed mantids. Once I become familiar with caring for the ones I have, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts