Anatomy of the front legs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanchez

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a science geek, medically trained and a background in biology in part. Technical medical question here, and just from curiosity. I wanted to learn about how my nymph mantis catches the prey as watching it for the first time was breathtaking. I found the answer, but it used words like femur and tibia which in my line of work refer to internal bones, not part of an exoskeleton. Will I sound like an idiot if I repeat that if asked the question or is there a more proper terminology? Our local library is on shutdown so can't check and the internet seems be be a circle of unclear references. Thanks!

The terms femur and tibia are correct in this case. The first part of the arm, where it connects to the body, is called the coxa, the elbow is called the trochanter, then the femur, then the tibia, then the little foot on the end is the tarsus.

- MantisGirl13 

I am not a entomologist. This is just for reference only, something I did for fun many years ago so I am not sure if it is still accurate. 

femures.jpg

ffemur.jpg

ftarsus.jpg

ftibia.jpg

sffleg.jpg

sfmleg.jpg

Thanks guys, all extremely helpful. I've just remembered that I brought some pre-prepared microscope slides and one of them was a collection of insect legs, I'll check to see if there's a mantis in there to examine it.

Latest posts