Anyone have treehoppers

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timor

Reaction score
Well I just wanted to know if anyone keeps any treehoppers? If so how do you feed them? Also seeing as I am all the way in England if anyone knows a place where they live would anyone be willing to collect and send some over? I would off course pay for P&P and something for catching some :)

Thanks

Timor

There is only 3 species of tree hoppers in Europe,but many different species from Amazonia..

I have a 1 hour documentary about them but it is in french language.

If we are talking about Membracidae I believe they say what they eat in that documentary,I will give it a check so I could tell you.Or maybe you speak french so I can send you the link to that doc.

I don't keep treehoppers but I have seen people keep them in a container with a small plant inside (tomato plant, etc.).

OK. Is that what they get their phloem sap from then? Or is there another way they feed them and the tomato plant is just for it to be on?

Thanks

Timor

OK. Is that what they get their phloem sap from then? Or is there another way they feed them and the tomato plant is just for it to be on?
The tomato plant is just an example but you could use whatever plant you want (I'm talking about an entire plant that's growing in a pot). Hmm, I don't understand why you would say that "is there another way they feed them and the tomato plant is just for it to be on". You should know that all plants have phloem and so yes, the plant is what they will feed on (in addition to being something for them to be on too).

I know that all plants have phloem inside them although I wasn't sure about how much they have. Like do some plants have more than others and was just curious if they feed on tomato plant or if there is not enough sap or something.

Thanks

Timor

I know that all plants have phloem inside them although I wasn't sure about how much they have. Like do some plants have more than others and was just curious if they feed on tomato plant or if there is not enough sap or something.

Thanks

Timor
It should be able to support a few. But, if it starts wilting, replace it. Additional waterings also help regenerate 'sap'.

OK. That's great. I have a swiss cheese plant in my room which is quite large. Would that work well or are there any species of plants which have more sap?

Thanks for the replies :) Still found no one who could catch some for me :(

Are there any other American insect forums I could check out?

Timor

OK. That's great. I have a swiss cheese plant in my room which is quite large. Would that work well or are there any species of plants which have more sap?

Thanks for the replies :) Still found no one who could catch some for me :(

Are there any other American insect forums I could check out?

Timor
Any plant that could cope to the juices being sucked out of it would work well. Although I have never seen them for sale, I've collected some in Texas... were cool, but that was a few years back.

OK. Will have to see if anyone else on this forum can find some :)

Thanks for the help

If anyone knows a good plant to use then please just write :)

Timor

I had bramble and mulberry around, so I fed them those. That worked well. They also liked a few weeds I planted in there. Can't remember what species though.

OK. Thanks. I will try to find out what plants have the most phloem sap :)

Did the bramble and mulberry ever die out? I mean due to the treehoppers.

Timor

OK. Thanks. I will try to find out what plants have the most phloem sap :)

Did the bramble and mulberry ever die out? I mean due to the treehoppers.

Timor
The bramble had a few stick insects on it, so it died in about a month.

The mulberry(s) I had planted in there lived pretty well, 1/10 died up but came up stronger next year. I used hedge-clippers to clip the top, so some went down and became stronger. Since here in so-cal has 'no' winter, I kept them outside.I had two groups: one bramble (and weeds) and one mulberry (and weeds).

OK. Which one would you say survived best? Also do you know any other species of plants which have a large amount of phloem sap?

OK. Which one would you say survived best? Also do you know any other species of plants which have a large amount of phloem sap?
I assume most anything without a trunk will work, whatever you have on hand. I'd also avoid 'leafy' plants.

Wow! Sure do. One was in the office the other day!

215235_1848374822014_1620001595_1919766_1982383_n.jpg

Heck here are ALL my insect pictures:

Latest posts