anyone here use these small tents?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used something very similar in the past, just a net type enclosure. They big problem with them is that you cannot keep the humidity up inside them. If you have a species that doesn't require high humidity in it, then I say go for it. It subjects the mantid to whatever your household settings are as far as temperature and humidity.

It'll work. Keep in mind though that most mantids will want to be at the top which is pointy and constricted on this.

Where's the door? Do you have to hang it from a pole to keep it from collapsing?

LOL at Hibiscusmile. :lol:

Rick, would the pointy top make much of a difference, since they would probably hang facing downwards anyway?

I figured it would direct the food items right to the mantis....though this may lead to bugs that are fat and out of shape. We can't have that, now, can we?

@ Laura - Humidy shouldn't be a problem, since I plan on keeping them in my hot-house, where I grow many of my humidy-loving tropical plants. But Ismart also solved this problem by wrapping the netting in cling wrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the door is the top and it has to hang to stay open you're going to have a very difficult time using these for any mantis.

I'd say buy a few and see how they go. Sunny gave me one (that she had outgrown!) a few years back.It's like Laura's and has a clear plastic lid on top that unzips, but I've always found that a good flick of the finger dislodges most mantids (non-molting mantids! ) if they are on the lid at feeding time.The same company also sells the Pearl Whirl Ball for about a fin. You might want to try a couple of those, too! :D

I'd say buy a few and see how they go. Sunny gave me one (that she had outgrown!) a few years back.It's like Laura's and has a clear plastic lid on top that unzips, but I've always found that a good flick of the finger dislodges most mantids (non-molting mantids! ) if they are on the lid at feeding time.The same company also sells the Pearl Whirl Ball for about a fin. You might want to try a couple of those, too! :D
I noticed the same thing Phil, with the whole smooth plastic top, so I glued some of my plastic window screen onto the top of it! It was an emergency improvisation :lol:

Latest posts