Apartments for Magellan and Ponder

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
Could have built a real house for all the head scratching and re-jiggering I did - mostly to try and figure out FF control and management. The rafters are carefully designed to withstand an asteroid strike or thermonuclear pulse. Or to hang from while playing "bat."

After trying and failing with different screens to hold 'gaster FFs (nothing worked) - it dawned on my to try women's stockings. Work like a charm. Complete ventilation and not the tiniest FF can escape. When I bought the stockings at CVS, I told the kid behind the counter I was neither a bank robber nor a transvestite. He replied, "that's what they all say."

magellan_house1.JPG

magellan_house2.JPG

magellan_house3.JPG

So how many stockings do you think I could buy before Walmart calls the cops? :p I'm in a similar predicament right now. My screen lets tiny melanos through, but my black landscaping fabric doesnt let any light in.

This fabric (I assume it's polyester) lets in a good amount of light, tons of ventilation and melanos would be blocked.

Neat, being the lazy bum I am I just go with the net cubes form LiveMonarch.

I think you have reached your limit at wally mart, if u go again and people seem to be following you, well they are! Try some window curtain material, anything really thin in the cloth department at wally mart!

They seem conent enough, Mal. Am a bit concerned with both of their lack of eating interest. At the moment, a gaggle of FFs (less that 10) seem to annoy them. Could be pre-molting jitters or they just don't need the food. I'm new to nymph-raising, so have no history with which to judge.

They seem conent enough, Mal. Am a bit concerned with both of their lack of eating interest. At the moment, a gaggle of FFs (less that 10) seem to annoy them. Could be pre-molting jitters or they just don't need the food. I'm new to nymph-raising, so have no history with which to judge.
A hungry nymph will have a very flat abdomen. a full nymph will be incredibly fat. If they look pretty fat they might not be hungry, if they're thin try giving them one fly at a time and if they're still not interested they may be pre-molt.

I do use pantyhose for some enclosures and I have to say Rebecca is right.

As we ladies can attest, they do start to run after a while and then the FF's will get out my friend!!!

Look for the sheer fabric at Walmart or one of those craft places.

Or get it from Rebecca.

When I bought the stockings at CVS, I told the kid behind the counter I was neither a bank robber nor a transvestite. He replied, "that's what they all say."
If you'd told him the real reason, he wouldn't have believed you anyway! :D

Using stockings is a great idea... I'll have to keep that in mind if I end up getting a smaller nymph at some point...

Latest posts