Archimantis latistyla: L1 threatening each other. Not communal at all

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malakyoma

Reaction score
So these little guys are feisty. I've been keeping them in pairs in 16 oz cups but apparently thats still not enough. I caught these two threatening each other in their cups today, both L1. I separated them shortly after.

Guess I have to start building cups for individuals. yay.

IMG_7436 copy.JPG

IMG_7437 copy.JPG

IMG_7438 copy.JPG

IMG_7439 copy.JPG

Yup, popas will do arm motions and such to signal their presence, much like boxers...have fun making all those homes! And feeding and watering ALL those containers; I easily picked up on your enthusiasm :D :D :D hahaha .... :)

My popas didnt have trouble being together for a little while. My boxers do the arm motions anyway. Problem is most of my membranaceas are hitting L3 and I want to separate them which is another 10 enclosures, and if I have to separate my archimantids now thats another 8... so 18 in total to cut the sides/top, glue the screen, add furniture etc. Looking at 2 days of work lol.

Interesting. Until this afternoon, I had 20 of them L4/L5 living together in an oversized butterfly cylinder net enclosure. I have been adding a few flies in the morning and evening to ensure they don't run out of food.

For the most part, all young mantids will do fine communally in a net cube or 32oz cup...they just need more room I guess, and with a lot of ffs, they should be fine... ;)

For the most part, all young mantids will do fine communally in a net cube or 32oz cup...they just need more room I guess, and with a lot of ffs, they should be fine... ;)
I have pairs in 16 oz cups. just two! lol. I've seen people keep 100 L1 nymphs in a 32 oz fine. but 2 archimantis in a 16 is too much :p I give lots of fruit flies too.

I still keep all my 30-40 together in a 10gl tank don't seem them too aggressive at L1... maybe i got too much FF's in, they got no time to attack each other haha...

Well I think it just depends right? I have 2 Idolo females that I mostly keep together it's not a small exoterra. And while people consider them communal, they do smack the bejesus out of each other!!

Latest posts