Beginner setup, please evaluate :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sticks sterile enough after being baked for less than 30 minutes? Should I sand the top layer off too? They were trimmed then cleaned by being sprayed with the hottest water from the shower then baked. 
I used dip them into boiling water its faster. Enclosure looking good. 

You’re good on the branches. I used to bake mine... now I just make sure there is nothing on them. Never had any troubles.
I didn't want it looking too busy, but I've added extra twigs for variety.  Do you guys use lights or a heatpad? Concerned about humidity, my gauge hasn't arrived and the droplets are disappearing quickly, the paper towel is still a little moist though. Can I put a bottlecap with water or mushed up banana or even cat food? I read that cat food is a favourite for some. 

You are over thinking it man. You bought one of the hardiest species out there. Give the enclosure a spray every day/every other day. Miomantis don’t need extra heat as far as I know of. As long as the temp is around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can add branches and flowers but that’s only going to affect you negatively in my opinion. Mantis don’t hide, they are the predator. They need to be in the open so they can catch flies and such. I have never found any of my mantis is some tiny little crevice or something; always out in the open. The more stuff you add the harder it will be for your mantis to catch its food.

Mantis will only eat moving food, unless you hand feed or force feed them other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are over thinking it man. You bought one of the hardiest species out there. Give the enclosure a spray every day/every other day. Miomantis don’t need extra heat as far as I know of. As long as the temp is around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can add branches and flowers but that’s only going to affect you negatively in my opinion. Mantis don’t hide, they are the predator. They need to be in the open so they can catch flies and such. I have never found any of my mantis is some tiny little crevice or something; always out in the open. The more stuff you add the harder it will be for your mantis to catch its food.

Mantis will only eat moving food, unless you hand feed or force feed them other stuff.
Yeah you're right. They do seem pretty tough. Do you know if they eat any fruit? Gonna stick a bottlecap with a tiny piece of cat food in, one hasn't eaten but I suspect it may be about to molt. 

As I said in my previous post, they will not eat anything not moving without you helping them. Some treats for them would be bananas, honey, or I’ve heard of cat food. But for them to eat that stuff you need to physically hand feed them. Like stuff it in their face. But those are treats, should not be fed as a stable food source. Mantis will stop eating for a day or two if they are going to molt.

As I said in my previous post, they will not eat anything not moving without you helping them. Some treats for them would be bananas, honey, or I’ve heard of cat food. But for them to eat that stuff you need to physically hand feed them. Like stuff it in their face. But those are treats, should not be fed as a stable food source. Mantis will stop eating for a day or two if they are going to molt.
Just tried one with a little mashed banana on a chopstick, then my fingertip. Think it had a taste, but not sure if it was enjoying it or washing the stink off by obsessively cleaning itself. Anyone good at sexing them? https://anonimage.net/image/8A3s0xGl

They can not be sexed at L2. For a miomantis you will probably have to wait until like L4

They can not be sexed at L2. For a miomantis you will probably have to wait until like L4
My bad, just posted a topic on it. I'll bump at that post when it molts again. Number 1 (the one who was housed first) hasnt eaten much but had a taste of banana, but is very tame, had it on my hand for a few minutes without issue. They're just curious little guys, it's awesome watching and learning from Mantids. About to take Number 2 out, I suspect it'll be the same.  

Yep mantis are amazing creatures!
Already I'm noticing distinct personalities. The one I haven't seen eat is the friendlier more curious one, and the other who was chomping a fly before I transferred him is way more timid, yet still friendly. 

Would it be necessary to drop a wet cottonball in there for moisture, or will the daily misting be fine? It looks as though there is only a slightly damp paper towel now, the glass is dry. Also, do you guys use tap or bottled? I've been using bottled with a dash of boiled water to warm slightly. 

Not necessary to drop a cottonball. Paper towel is fine. I use tap water but I know a lot of people use filtered.

Not necessary to drop a cottonball. Paper towel is fine. I use tap water but I know a lot of people use filtered.
Even a slightly damp paper towel? I keep thinking I need to mist it. Warm water misting?

As long as it is damp when you first spray it you should be fine. I use room temp water. But if I’m feeling nice I’ll get some hot water lol

As long as it is damp when you first spray it you should be fine. I use room temp water. But if I’m feeling nice I’ll get some hot water lol
Awesome, guess I really don't need to worry. What would you say are the top 3 things you need to watch out for? 

Dead food?

Making sure there are 2-3 fruit flies at one time

And keeping the towel slightly damp with a spray a day approximately?

Top 4 things I look out for:

Mantis throwup(black dots that are different from fly throwup)

Behavior change

Slow growers(not molting for a while after siblings do)

Not eating a entire fly and is skinny

Your list: 

Dead food doesn’t seem to bother them

You don’t need flies in at all times. As long as they look plump they are fine.

I spray every day to every 3 days to every 2 weeks depending on species. I make sure I get the paper towel damp. But it will dry up in ~10 minutes.

Top 4 things I look out for:

Mantis throwup(black dots that are different from fly throwup)

Behavior change

Slow growers(not molting for a while after siblings do)

Not eating a entire fly and is skinny

Your list: 

Dead food doesn’t seem to bother them

You don’t need flies in at all times. As long as they look plump they are fine.

I spray every day to every 3 days to every 2 weeks depending on species. I make sure I get the paper towel damp. But it will dry up in ~10 minutes.
The one that ate as soon as it was unboxed did leave a small piece of fly. Shall I spray to make sure the towel is damp or will they be fine for water for until tomorrow? One hasn't been eating yet, but did taste some banana. They take some time to adjust after being tossed about in a postbag?

Sometimes mantis leave small bits of a fly. I’m talking about taking a bite then dropping the entire fly. It really doesn’t matter if you spray it or not. You’re over complicating it. Just make sure they get something to drink every few days. If they’ve had a rough trip they might need some accumulating although most of mine will eat straight out of the package. 

What was the mantis standing on in the first pic? 

Im going to guess they are L2 by the fact that you bought them L2... I really have no idea. You can’t really tell when a mantis will molt through a picture. Just look for the warning signs. But make sure to try and feed them everyday. If they continue to ignore food for 2+ days they should be getting ready to molt.

Latest posts