Beginner setup, please evaluate :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes mantis leave small bits of a fly. I’m talking about taking a bite then dropping the entire fly. It really doesn’t matter if you spray it or not. You’re over complicating it. Just make sure they get something to drink every few days. If they’ve had a rough trip they might need some accumulating although most of mine will eat straight out of the package. 

What was the mantis standing on in the first pic? 

Im going to guess they are L2 by the fact that you bought them L2... I really have no idea. You can’t really tell when a mantis will molt through a picture. Just look for the warning signs. But make sure to try and feed them everyday. If they continue to ignore food for 2+ days they should be getting ready to molt.
The first one is the one that is eating, and he is standing on the rim of the lid, I used thread to attach the mesh through the holes last minute instead of glue, so I managed it without chemicals. Was a little rushed but it does the job. What were the warning signs again? The breeder said L2 or L3 in the ad, so wasn't too sure, haven't heard back since I got them. 

Oh wow. That enclosure is WAY too big for that tiny nymph. You need to put them in something a little smaller and easier to control. 

Dried hot glue is not harmful to mantis so don’t worry about that.

Warning signs: ignoring prey, pumping abdomen, not moving much, sluggish, etc

Oh wow. That enclosure is WAY too big for that tiny nymph. You need to put them in something a little smaller and easier to control. 

Dried hot glue is not harmful to mantis so don’t worry about that.

Warning signs: ignoring prey, pumping abdomen, not moving much, sluggish, etc
What sort of thing would do for that size? Not too sure I have anything laying around at the moment. 

Any little deli cups or some kind of plastic cup kind of container should work perfect. Container should be at least height wise 3x the length of the mantis and width wise 2x the length of the mantis.

Idk exactly how big your mantis is. Just put thre mantis next to it and see if it is 3x as tall as the length of the mantis and the width 2x

Looks much better! A lot more cosy for them. They molt approximately every 2 weeks until their later instars

Looks much better! A lot more cosy for them. They molt approximately every 2 weeks until their later instars
Excellent. I overestimated their size, I thought they would be bigger. Its insane how they really are just miniature versions on the adults. Cute little guys. Cant wait to find out their sex so I can name them appropriately. What do you call your guys?

Yeah especially miomantis... tiny little suckers. 

Heres my biggest guy 4BF4F088-A3BF-455B-A9F2-F95538B46740.jpegI don’t name mine, at least I haven’t came up with any.

No no no lol. Thats a giant African Sphodromantis Lineola. He is a adult, freshly molted about a week ago

https://anonimage.net/image/DPzInzhJ3U

Turns out all they needed was a smaller, cosier home because first thing this morning, as soon as I picked them up, they both grabbed a fly. I witnessed both of them hunt within seconds of picking them up, I'm guessing they were like " oh , that's the guy who tries to force us to eat the flies and banana" and just grabbed a fly. They seem to be early eaters, which I suppose makes sense considering insects are usually out in the warmth. 

Awesome! Glad they are eating. That container should last them several molts. 

No none of my mantis have ever bitten me. Mantis only ever bite prey. But here’s a pic of him angry ?6432C106-3489-40E6-BC72-FDCC9FB3170B.jpeg

Awesome! Glad they are eating. That container should last them several molts. 

No none of my mantis have ever bitten me. Mantis only ever bite prey. But here’s a pic of him angry ?View attachment 9924
I was surprised when I checked them this morning, the poor guys must have felt so lost in the big jar.

Do they adopt that pose defensively? My guys do that before walking onto me,  it they usually just walk straight from the lid onto my hand. I've added some smaller flies I purchased on eBay, the larger ones that came with them weren't fully being eaten. 

When do you suggest I get the plastic cups as shown in the picture with the mesh?

Yeah that’s a defensive pose. Younger/smaller mantis don’t use threat postures though, they use flight to escape predators.

What plastic cups?

Yeah that’s a defensive pose. Younger/smaller mantis don’t use threat postures though, they use flight to escape predators.

What plastic cups?
My nymphs can fly? There was a lid on the photo, is that from a plastic cup that is sued go keep mantids or the fruit fly cultures? I've seen some use those cups on YouTube. 

No sorry by flight I mean running or jumping. Although some adult males can fly.

oh yeah he is kept in a 80 oz deli cup. But I’ll be upgrading him to a net cage here soon. If you get a 32 deli cup with a cloth lid that will be able to hold your mantis for its entire life.

No sorry by flight I mean running or jumping. Although some adult males can fly.

oh yeah he is kept in a 80 oz deli cup. But I’ll be upgrading him to a net cage here soon. If you get a 32 deli cup with a cloth lid that will be able to hold your mantis for its entire life.
Will I save the glass terrariums I made for when they are sub adult or adult? Realistically, how far can my nymphs jump?

Latest posts