Best humidifier?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Am trying to purchase a humidifier to prevent molting issues. Humidity is about 45 percent in the bathroom where i have kept chinese mantises  in mantis mansions or butterfly keepers, which are all mesh.  Misting isnt enough. Room temp with a small space heater is 62 to 72F. Would like to buy a humidifier to increase the humidity to say 60 percent so it needs to have a good long run time and be adjustable in terms of output and produce cool mist i guess. Does anyone have a humidifier brand they just love? The alternative would be to invest in bugariums but then wouldnt lack of air and climbing mesh be a problem? Thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@cwebster My favorite brand has been the Crane humidifiers, I have the frog one here and another similar one and used them the last few winters. I also got a Honeywell cool mist awhile back locally as it was a cheap backup, although a smaller water tank (more refills needed) it has been working good too.

If your a diy person the ultrasonic humidifier products from The House of Hydro are really great and can be done so they do not need to be manually refilled. :)

I got the one disc model and it out preforms my other humidifiers due to the larger disc size. The thing that originally sold me on them was they offered replacement disc's (and are even included for free) to keep it going - as eventually depending on the water hardness/minerals/etc they all will go bad and most are not replaceable/repairable. They are listed as foggers too due to the amount of humidity they create, which is easily visible.

The ones to avoid I found are any that use wicks and filters. They do not create much humidity compared to a ultrasonic one (not even close), and the wicks and filters need to be replaced which are often rather expensive. They seem to work purely by wicking the water up near a fan that blows warm room air over it to evaporate the water.

I originally got a older large box humidifier from a family member that knew I was needing a humidifier. I found that thing was huge, noisy, and did little to help the room humidity. Also the replacement wick was $30+ when it went bad, so it was cheaper to buy another and I found the ultrasonic humidifiers thankfully.

Thoms, thanks. Will check out the brands you mentioned.
Your welcome, I don't put much stock into brands usually though. That is as long as the product does have a brand name (unlike some of the ebay/Amazon stuff) as that means at least a company stands behind the product and are usually much better than no named products (of course some things are fine as well like that). ;)

If you can locate the model number of the humidifier your interested in, you can look it up online from Google to find Amazon or other reviews, product specifications, and such to see how it stands up. :) My wife has a app on her iPhone too that scans UPC barcodes to make it easier as it brings up the Amazon product page directly, and is really useful for shopping 2nd hand stores or anywhere really. :D

Ok, we bought a Homedics humidifier at Costco. Minty is now enjoying higher humidity plus a stable temp. Am trying to keep the humidity at about 60 and temp at about 70. He seems happier. He is grooming more and seems more cheery. 

I was told these were easy to care for.

Latest posts