Branches

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefyTheNorms

Reaction score
Is it safe to harvest branches from outside, if I bake or freeze them beforehand? What would be the safest method? I'm having problems finding the size I want in stores.

I take mine straight from outside but make sure there is no bugs or fungus or something weird like that. If you want to be extra precautious you can bake them. Just don’t catch your house on fire!

Here are some things you can do:

-freeze for 48 hours 

- bake them (I’m not sure what temperature or how long)

-or pour boiling water on the sticks, or dunk them in boiling water.

I mainly boil water, it’s faster and more simple. 

With the smaller branches I give em a quick wash in tap water then zap them in the micro wave for 30 seconds.  If they need more another 20 seconds helps dry them off . Plus it makes the house smell rustic........... S 

Thanks @PrayingMantisPets I collected a small box full this afternoon. I'll bring them in and clean them up tomorrow.

@Serle I like the idea of microwaving them. I may try it just to get that "rustic" smell :D   I see you are Canadian. Me too!

Thanks @PrayingMantisPets I collected a small box full this afternoon. I'll bring them in and clean them up tomorrow.

@Serle I like the idea of microwaving them. I may try it just to get that "rustic" smell :D   I see you are Canadian. Me too!
hy we're  getting into the winter/C-Mas season, nice to see another CDN on the forum........ S

Mantids are not too difficult to acquire here just need more U.S.A. suppliers to ship North .  That said I have had one package inspected at the border . Winter shipping is a challenge ,   I'm incubating a Mantis Religiosa that we found locally , plenty naturalized here . Just hatched a Tenodera ooth  125 to 130 nymphs and another ooth on deck , they are local as well.  Blepharopsis Mendies , a couple coming into aulthood  and a range of Miomantis Paykulii from L4 to ootheca laying ..  I would like to raise Creobroter Gemmatus but had a couple duds ..   ....... Thats my herd............ S

Mantids are not too difficult to acquire here just need more U.S.A. suppliers to ship North .  That said I have had one package inspected at the border . Winter shipping is a challenge ,   I'm incubating a Mantis Religiosa that we found locally , plenty naturalized here . Just hatched a Tenodera ooth  125 to 130 nymphs and another ooth on deck , they are local as well.  Blepharopsis Mendies , a couple coming into aulthood  and a range of Miomantis Paykulii from L4 to ootheca laying ..  I would like to raise Creobroter Gemmatus but had a couple duds ..   ....... Thats my herd............ S
I bet it’s easier to ship ooths from country to country

@Serle Cool about naturalized species! I had no idea. Don't think there are mantids in New Brunswick. But then again, mantids didn't get my attention until a year ago. I'm in Florida now, been here a while. I just ordered a Creobroter Gemmatus - should be here end of week (i hope), along with 2 giant species. :)  

Latest posts