Buddhism?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhistsoldier88

Reaction score
Other than Sparky and myself , are there any other Buddhists or those who wish to know about Buddha and his teachings? Religious DISCUSSIONS are most welcome (this means CIVILIZED conversation).

Buddhists not suppose to keep mantids in the first place, but a monk told me that "Whatever you keep by your hands will die by your hands" So once you have it you might as well keep it and help it live through a long happy life or let it go.

well thats all i know about keeping invertabrates 8)

well thats part of it. Im glad someone started buddihsm thread. After all those christian threads, i was beggining to feel lonely :oops:

I would love to hear more about Buddhism, it sounds like a very indepth peaceful faith, could you tell me more about it? :)
More than happy to Asa. It started With a prince of Nepal known today as Buddha which means Elightened One. Before the prince was born there was a prophecy that a boy with golden tinged skin would be born and one of 2 things would happen: he would be a great warrior or he would be a great spiritual leader. So the king of Nepal surrounded his new born son (the Buddha) with everything he could ever want and the prince never left the palace. One day the prince grew tired of being in the palace all the time so he took a servant for a walk with him in the towns of Nepal. They saw a Sick man. The young prince pointed to the sick man and said "What is wrong with that man?"

The servant replied "Master, that man is sick." And the prince grew sad and they continued.

Then they came upon a corpse and the prince again asked "What is wrong with that man?"

The servant said, "That man has died of sickness, sire." And the prince grew sadder still.

Then they came upon an old man begging for money but seemed to be truly happy. The prince once again had to know why and what.

The servant said he was a priest and had nothing but the clothes on his back and whatever money or food was given to him and lived a life of solitude and peace.

The prince left the palace as soon as he knew his son was born at the age of 29 to try to find a way of life of peace. He took the name of Buddha and kept his first name, Sidhartha. So after six years of a hard life he found the Way to be happy and came up tith the Eightfold Path:

1. Right View

2. Right Intention

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort Mental

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

And the Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

This of course is only a small bit of Buddhism but a lot of info and i even cut it short :lol: hope you enjoy!!!!!

I would love to hear more about Buddhism, it sounds like a very indepth peaceful faith, could you tell me more about it? :)
More than happy to Asa. It started With a prince of Nepal known today as Buddha which means Elightened One. Before the prince was born there was a prophecy that a boy with golden tinged skin would be born and one of 2 things would happen: he would be a great warrior or he would be a great spiritual leader. So the king of Nepal surrounded his new born son (the Buddha) with everything he could ever want and the prince never left the palace. One day the prince grew tired of being in the palace all the time so he took a servant for a walk with him in the towns of Nepal. They saw a Sick man. The young prince pointed to the sick man and said "What is wrong with that man?"

The servant replied "Master, that man is sick." And the prince grew sad and they continued.

Then they came upon a corpse and the prince again asked "What is wrong with that man?"

The servant said, "That man has died of sickness, sire." And the prince grew sadder still.

Then they came upon an old man begging for money but seemed to be truly happy. The prince once again had to know why and what.

The servant said he was a priest and had nothing but the clothes on his back and whatever money or food was given to him and lived a life of solitude and peace.

The prince left the palace as soon as he knew his son was born at the age of 29 to try to find a way of life of peace. He took the name of Buddha and kept his first name, Sidhartha. So after six years of a hard life he found the Way to be happy and came up tith the Eightfold Path:

1. Right View

2. Right Intention Wisdom

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action Ethical Conduct

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort Mental

7. Right Mindfulness Development

8. Right Concentration

And the Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

This of course is only a small bit of Buddhism but a lot of info and i even cut it short :lol: hope you enjoy!!!!!
Did Buddha have any successors? Do you have anything like the Christian 'Mass'? What do you do for prayer?

As for successors the Buddha did not appoint any but the followers went their with seperate ways (after the Buddha died) to spread the word of Buddha. As for prayer not all Buddhists pray but rather chant. Some, such as Tibetan monks, do pray. Thereavada (traditionalists) such as me do not but as with all Buddhists meditate.

In Buddhism, any person who has awakened from the "sleep of ignorance" (by directly realizing the true nature of reality), without instruction, and teaches it to others is called a buddha

there are a few different kinds of buddhism as well.

:lol: you catch on quick! Try something. Just a simple Buddhist experience: try looking at something for what it is with NO thinking..no recognition..just SEE it

Cool. It's easiest with words and numbers for me. So working out that theory, wouldn' t newborns have more talent than a Buddha?
I wouldnt say so..because as a baby grows they tend to forget...and its not so much a talent..more of a perspective. Try looking at your mantis using that :D

Like i said before, not all Buddhists pray. I am a Therevadan Buddhist (follow traditional teachings). Because I adopted the religion and no one from my family is Buddhist I have no "scruture". But i am structured. Make sense? I do not pray that is not in my branch of the religion.

Latest posts