Butterfly Terrarium?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Waiting on an oothe to hatch to adopt my first mantis. Looking for cheap housing options for a Chinese mantis that I can hang on my bedroom wall. Any reason something like this wouldn't be good? Do I need a different container at first, or can a youngster live in there alright? The person I'm adopting it from is brand new to this, so how long should I ask to wait before grabbing it?

Thanks!

Ok. If this is your first mantis, then make sure to keep several nymphs, not just one. Most of the nymphs in a Chinese ooth don't survive ( assuming that is what you have). Also, these babies are gonna be tiny. The enclosure shown on there will work just fine in a few months, once it is bigger, but you are going to need a much smaller container to house it in so that the fruit flies don't escape, and so the mantis can find them. I use cheap leftover containers and toole for the lid. If you want to hang it on the wall, then you might have some trouble finding a cage that will work. If you want a cage to hang on the wall that bad, then you can make one out of a leftover container, toole, hot glue, and a hook. In my opinion, you should just get a cage that you can set on a desk or dresser for now. Where in Philly are you? I am about an hour away from CHOP, in Coatesville. Please ask if you have any more questions!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts