Cage for mantis...is there such thing as too big?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omen414

Reaction score
I have a giant indian mantis (Or atleast I think it is) and right now im keeping him in a....ehhh maybe 10in by 5 in by 8 in cage....and im thinking of upgrading to a 55 gallon fish aquarium when he gets bigger...is this tooo big?

The common 55 gallon tank is 47.5 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 19 inches high (all inside dimensions). The length is what makes this type of enclosure way too big for a single mantis. It will make it difficult for the mantis to find his food in all that space, unless you flood it with feeders. Then you have waste with all the ones he won't end up eating, more dead feeders to eventually clean out, and more work to keep them all alive until he eats them.

Mantids don't move around a lot. They usually stay pretty much in one place for long stretches of time. Or if they do wander, it isn't far. They don't go running around to find their food... they sit and wait for it to come to them.

Edit: If you're really hip and set on getting an enclosure that big, I guess you could always hand feed your mantis to make sure it gets the food. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i kinda noticed that...mine doesnt move much unless he sees a bug less then a cm away...the ghosts enjoy cruising around though it seems...or atleast more then the one i have

55 gal!!!!!???? Are you serious? For that mantis the biggest tank I would keep it in would be a 2 1/2 gallon mini aquarium.

Latest posts