Caging size preference

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug Trader

Reaction score
Im working on some new mantid caging thats stackable as Ive grown tired of the buttefly cages. I do have a few thoughts I would like opinions on though if possible. I tend to love verticle enclosures for keeping single mantids but in groups for raising they obviously need a more terrestrial cage so theres more space on the top of the cage for them all.

I always viewed the mesh cubes that are 16-24'' tall as too tall and a waste of space as most my mantids never really venture down so what are your thoughts on this? Any idea what the minimal height should actually be for a 3--4'' mantis or even Idolos? Im leaning to make them all 48''x16''x12-14'' high at most. Has anyone experienced any real issues using shorter cages?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but Ive seen larger mantids molt in the 12'' cubes all the time by many hobbyists, I just wasnt sure if there have been any noticable issues to anyone with using a limited height cage. When you have a mantis at the top of a 24'' cage it makes catching its meal a lot more difficult than a smaller enclosure.

Yes but Ive seen larger mantids molt in the 12'' cubes all the time by many hobbyists, I just wasnt sure if there have been any noticable issues to anyone with using a limited height cage. When you have a mantis at the top of a 24'' cage it makes catching its meal a lot more difficult than a smaller enclosure.
24" seems a little excessive I agree. but I've had mantids come close to hitting their head on the bottom when molting even in a 3x height container.

I agree I have too just working on some group cage ideas. I likely will stick to 14'' high.

For a 4" mantis I would say height be no less than 12-14" tall. Gives them enough room to molt.
I think any 4" mantis is already adult, if not your going to have 6-7" giant? 12" is more than enough for a Idolo to molt in, so most other species are plenty safe at that height.

Even 10" is plenty for a sub adult female to molt in, as you said already Michael any more space than that doesn't get used so if you want to stay compact I would go with 10" high, 11" max if you really felt it necessary. Trust me you'll be good to go even with a Plistospilota guineensis (mega mantis).

I think any 4" mantis is already adult, if not your going to have 6-7" giant? 12" is more than enough for a Idolo to molt in, so most other species are plenty safe at that height.

Even 10" is plenty for a sub adult female to molt in, as you said already Michael any more space than that doesn't get used so if you want to stay compact I would go with 10" high, 11" max if you really felt it necessary. Trust me you'll be good to go even with a Plistospilota guineensis (mega mantis).
yeah a 4" mantis is already adult but they still have to get there.

Latest posts