Cameron Highlands/Tapah Hills

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I want to fly out to Malaysia now. Great pictures all around, but that unknown species has to be my favorite. So cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning Guys, thanks for the comments. So todays the second day, we're on our way for our mantis hunting, probably with the aboriginals, wish us luck. Thanks for your replies, we will try to culture what we can but for now...mantis first. :D

The mantids were bought from the natives, isn't it? You should not tell us you have found them if you didn't.

Anyway:

1. Creobroter sp.

2. Majangella sp.

3. Stenotoxodera porioni. Looks like a male.

to bad you need to be a real experienced breeder to even attempt to raise those Toxodera sp. and doubt anyone has even succeeded in raising a generation of them but would love to have them in culture but highly unlikely!
Lol

sell me some extra pair of dead leafs or the unknown sp. if u people got extra from the trip :)

The mantids were bought from the natives, isn't it? You should not tell us you have found them if you didn't.Anyway:

1. Creobroter sp.

2. Majangella sp.

That's a blatant accusation, and coming from you Christian, that's kind of a low blow. We went hunting and we found the mantids. We made contact with the aboriginals and they told us all the spots to look out for the mantids. So I'm going to tell you again, we found the mantids in the wild. More photos coming.

My brother cannot log on at the moment. he'll try again later

sell me some extra pair of dead leafs or the unknown sp. if u people got extra from the trip :)
Hey bro, the dead leaf mantids in the photos are from the Butterfly Garden/Farm. Although they were for sale, we didn't buy them because we've made good friends with the Aboriginals and they showed us the spots where to find different species of mantids, different species can usually be found on certain trees/plants/flowers. We just came back from a 5 hours hunting trip deep in the rainforests and we found a couple of D.desiccata and D.lobata and many more. We're lucky to be in the best season to find the mantids.

If you know Malay, you have a great advantage with the Aboriginals. They treated us well and even babysitted my baby nephew when we went deep into the rainforests!

to bad you need to be a real experienced breeder to even attempt to raise those Toxodera sp. and doubt anyone has even succeeded in raising a generation of them but would love to have them in culture but highly unlikely!
True, but just being able to see them in the wild and being able to hold them is satisfying enough. Also, we don't seem to find it skittish from the comments we hear from some. Seems that they're alright with being handled although we try not to do that much!

The mantids were bought from the natives, isn't it? You should not tell us you have found them if you didn't.Anyway:

1. Creobroter sp.

2. Majangella sp.

So I can finally log in, that was wierd.

Yes it is possible to buy from the natives, only if they have mantids already stocked. Usually they don't because no one buys mantids, people usually buy butterflies and beetles so that's what the natives will usually hunt for because hunting mantids, for them, is a waste of valuable time.

So we met the Aboriginals, made really good friends with them and they taught us what we needed to know on hunting mantids. And no one can beat them when it comes to the hunt, not even entomologists living far away from the rainforests. Heck, these Aboriginals wore slippers into the rainforests and used little to no equipment at all when hunting.

And boy, we found so many mantids. This is the best season to go mantis hunting in Malaysia.

Hey when are you going again? I wanna tag along=)
Hey, we still have two days here and I'm not sure when we're coming again. Probably next year, same season. If we're successful in culturing what we have, you won't have to go far to get some rare mantids!

LOLany luck so far?
We're currently feeding our mantids and making them really comfortable first. What we have (males & females) so far, H.coronatus, D.desiccata, D.lobata, T.elegans and some unknown ones.

Unfortunately, the real interesting stuff (Majangella & Stenotoxodera) seem to be only males - at least what I can guess from the pics. Do you have more specimens and/or pics of the underside of the abdomen?

Unfortunately, the real interesting stuff (Majangella & Stenotoxodera) seem to be only males - at least what I can guess from the pics. Do you have more specimens and/or pics of the underside of the abdomen?
As you probably know, males are much easier to find as they're easily attracted to light. We found a different Toxodera sp. and it also seems to be a male. We won't stop trying though as we still have two days left. We'll try and take some photos of the underside of their abdomen.

WOW Shaik!! Congrate on the find. Great job spotting them in the wild, you have done well contacting the orang asli (Aboriginal). When i was there in June I couldn't find any orang asli for help, i think most of them went to collect durian instead :lol: during the month of May/June as it seems more profitable for them than collecting bugs. Yeah as I told you in PM it is the best time of the season for bug hunting now in that area the only problem is rain. Did you use the new Simpang Pulai way or the old Tapah route? Please show us more pics and we look forward to it. Have a great hunting trip and stay safe and stay away from 'babi hutan' (wild boar) :p

WOW Shaik!! Congrate on the find. Great job spotting them in the wild, you have done well contacting the orang asli (Aboriginal). When i was there in June I couldn't find any orang asli for help, i think most of them went to collect durian instead :lol: during the month of May/June as it seems more profitable for them than collecting bugs. Yeah as I told you in PM it is the best time of the season for bug hunting now in that area the only problem is rain. Did you use the new Simpang Pulai way or the old Tapah route? Please show us more pics and we look forward to it. Have a great hunting trip and stay safe and stay away from 'babi hutan' (wild boar) :p
Hey Yen, We just woke up, lol, too tired cause yesterday we got around 13 or so mantis.

2 adult male D.lobata, 1 female sub-adult D.lobata, 1 male sub-adult D.lobata

1 L5 female D.desiccata, 1 sub-adult male D.desiccata,

1 pair Acromantis sp (possibly) (oh and they're mating right now lol)

1 male sub-adult T.elegans, 2 female sub-adult T.elegans (WOOO!)

1 pair H.coronatus (WOOO!!!)

1 male Toxodera (different one than we caught the other day)

Pictures will be posted tonight or tomorrow morning, cause we're going food hunting for the mantids.

Anyways, Yen, we used the new Simpang Pulai route, and if not for you my friend, we wouldn't have gotten so many mantids. The information you gave us are all exact. We found mantids on every spot that you stated plus the ones the Aboriginals showed. Thanks very much, more will come soon i hope, wish us luck.

By the way this is khabirun posting, lazy to log out.

Many thanks Yen. You're right about the Orang Asli collecting durians haha. Along the old Tapah route heading to Cameron, there are many villages and at this one area, you can find the bug-hunting Orang Asli. They all seem to be located in that particular village. If you're heading there again, we can give you the exact location. We gave them tips for helping us hunt the mantids because after all it's their main income. You were actually really lucky to have found an Orchid not too deep in the rainforests. We found one female Orchid really deep in the forests about 15 ft above the ground, perching on a particular flower. According to the Orang Asli, T.elegans and H.coronatus will usually be found among these flowers. I'm not sure about the type of the flower but I'll try and find out when I can.

Latest posts