Cameron Highlands/Tapah Hills

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you find the ootheca? Forest? Plantation?I looks similar to Statilia ootheca.

It does not look like hatched and most wasps make very distinct holes when they leave the eggcase.

regards
Hey brancsikia, we found the ooth on a long grass on the outskirts of a rainforest.

The ootheca looks similar to Statilia sp. as Brancsikia stated. Is the ootheca about 1-1.5 inch long?
Yeah Yen! It does look very similar. 99% similar so it should most probably be Statilia sp. Photos will come once they hatch. Thanks.

Bumping up this thread because we just came back from Malaysia and acquired more mantids from our Aboriginal friends. We've got loads of <i>H. coronatus</i> and <i>T. elegans</i> nymphs, 1 <i>D. truncata</i> female and 2 males, 2 female <i>Creobroter sp.</i> and 1 male, etc.

Photos of the <i>Creobroter sp.</i> Anyone know which <i>Creobroter</i> this is?

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow...so many you got
Wow, very cool.
Very cool.
Thanks guys. Hopefully we can culture the Creobroter sp. and D. truncata.

You guys are so lucky! <_< :lol:
We've got great Aboriginal friends. If we had the time, we'd stay with them for like a month for daily hunting trips. They did tell us that between December and April, mantids appear everywhere in the forest they live in.

Congratulations, Shaik, on finding more species. :) Sounds like you found some good ones. And I don't think I've ever seen a Creobroter with quite that pattern. It will be interesting to hopefully find out a reliable species identification. Best of luck with all your new mantids! ;) :D

Rick, we have a good one for you, I'm sure you're gonna love it, Sufistic's gonna upload some pictures in a few.

Edit: Sorry wrong thread, what a noob

Bumping up this thread because we just came back from Malaysia and acquired more mantids from our Aboriginal friends. We've got loads of H. coronatus and T. elegans nymphs, 1 D. truncata female and 2 males, 2 female Creobroter sp. and 1 male, etc.Photos of the Creobroter sp. Anyone know which Creobroter this is?

photo1.jpg
Nice haul Shaik!! Males are difficult to spot during day time and the small size doesn't help. Have you asked the Orang asli to set up light trap at night? You will be able to find flying adult males for your adult females.Edit: there are several species of Creobroter in Malaysia. Creobroter urbana, Fabricius, 1775 could be one.

Rick, we have a good one for you, I'm sure you're gonna love it, Sufistic's gonna upload some pictures in a few. Edit: Sorry wrong thread, what a noob
Haha... i did the wrong thread thing too sometimes. You are not alone.

Nice haul Shaik!! Males are difficult to spot during day time and the small size doesn't help. Have you asked the Orang asli to set up light trap at night? You will be able to find flying adult males for your adult females.Edit: there are several species of Creobroter in Malaysia. Creobroter urbana, Fabricius, 1775 could be one.
Thanks bro! Yeah actually the Orang Asli would usually look for mantids near lamp posts during night time! They'd get only males though. There's been a couple of instances they caught Toxodera sp males just hanging out at lamp posts! If they setup a light trap just like yours, I'm pretty sure they'll catch more interesting mantids!

We've successfully mated 2 of our female Creobroter sp. we acquired from Tapah Hills. One of the females ate our only male and it was too late for me to rescue him. Luckily he already mated with the both of them. It'll be interesting to find out more about this particular Creobroter sp. The 'smiley face' markings on them are quite similar to T. elegans.

Thanks bro! Yeah actually the Orang Asli would usually look for mantids near lamp posts during night time! They'd get only males though. There's been a couple of instances they caught Toxodera sp males just hanging out at lamp posts! If they setup a light trap just like yours, I'm pretty sure they'll catch more interesting mantids!
oh yeah that's right i forgotten you mentioned about you found those adult male mantis at night too. Do the Aboriginals use black light or just the regular flourescent? How I wish we can find such species with light trap here :)

oh yeah that's right i forgotten you mentioned about you found those adult male mantis at night too. Do the Aboriginals use black light or just the regular flourescent? How I wish we can find such species with light trap here :)
Yeah bro, they'd usually just keep a lookout at normal road lights, I'm not sure if they're fluorescent though, but we have the same kind here in Singapore. Move back to Malaysia Yen, it'll be easier for me to visit you then and we can go mantis hunting like every month or so.

Latest posts