Cameron Highlands/Tapah Hills

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
addictive movement, I'm eager to head to tapah hill now consider that I can reach there in 15 minutes drive...but with no time...argh...addictive
Dude! Seriously? 15 minutes away from mantis mecca! I so hate you right now! :lol: You got to make some time! ;)

Wonderful collection guys! Thanks a bunch for sharing the pics with us. The Toxodera mantis looks like from out of this world! :blink: Your collection definitely dwarfs the one i did back in June. All the best in finding more cool species on your next trip. :)
Many thanks Yen. I guess we're just in the right season. Best month according to the Orang Asli is in December.

addictive movement, I'm eager to head to tapah hill now consider that I can reach there in 15 minutes drive...but with no time...argh...addictive
Bro, if you plan to go there, do tell me. I need some favors :D .

Just wonder if those yellow flower mantids (Parymenopus Davisoni) would reside in that area or more near borneo or someplace!
They're there. We showed some photos to the Orang Asli and they said P.davisoni is there but it's even more difficult to find than the Toxodera. Most probably because they can only be found in the canopy rainforest layer.

They're there. We showed some photos to the Orang Asli and they said P.davisoni is there but it's even more difficult to find than the Toxodera. Most probably because they can only be found in the canopy rainforest layer.
Get your tree climbing equipment ready! :lol:

Did you find a female of each one? You live there right?
The Toxodera beieri nymph's a female. The other two are adult males. If only they could interbreed! Tapah Hills is in Malaysia, Singapore's neighbouring country. Takes about 7-8 hours to drive from Singapore to Tapah Hills.

There are middleman insect dealers based in Tapah and they can send mantids to anywhere (moreso Singapore because we're not that far) but they'd get their stock from the Aboriginals and sell at ridiculous prices. I already have first-hand contact with the Aboriginals and I can get their help to get more Toxos for me but they have no clue how to ship livestock safely to Singapore.

So it looks like I might have to head to Tapah Hills again if wifey permits because she's the one driving lol.

find any ooths or do they ever find any?
Actually my brother did spot one ooth. We're not sure what sp. though. Although the Aboriginals are good at finding mantids, they have no clue what an ooth looks like. We showed what we found and they thought it was a butterfly cocoon!

Photos of the ooth. Perhaps someone can help ID?

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

It's hard to identify ooths. Often, you will have to wait until the nymphs hatch and grow up. ;)

BTW, here's one of my videos of a gongylus:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find the ootheca? Forest? Plantation?

I looks similar to Statilia ootheca.

It does not look like hatched and most wasps make very distinct holes when they leave the eggcase.

regards

The ootheca looks similar to Statilia sp. as Brancsikia stated. Is the ootheca about 1-1.5 inch long?

Following is the hatched Statilia sp. ootheca found in Hong Kong this Summer.

hatchstatiliaooth1.jpg

Another fresh Statilia sp. found in Hong Kong, the ootheca hatched out and was later identified as S. nemoralis.

statiliaooth.jpg

This is the Statilia maculata oothecae I am incubating right now.

smaculataooth.jpg

As you can see the shape is about the same as the one you have collected there. Not sure what species but we can always till it hatches and the nymphs grow bigger. The ooth looks fresh. If it indeed is Statilia sp. expect to see about 60-100 ever-thirsty nymphs. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, but i think i have to post more of the Toxodera beieri pictures, i just can't get enough of her lol and sorry bout the bad pictures, she moves too much and its hard for me to take pictures

here it goes...

P1040640.jpg

P1040641.jpg

P1040643.jpg

P1040645.jpg

P1040648.jpg

P1040649.jpg

P1040650.jpg

P1040652.jpg

P1040653.jpg

P1040655.jpg

Latest posts